1.00 In Which Tests Are Failed

Start from the beginning

Ellie giggled. "Yeah, thanks, Miss Thesaurus. Why on earth do you know so many synonyms?"

"I read," Allison told her.

"No, seriously, did you look it up on your phone or something?"

"Hey! Do you not think I'm intellectual?" the taller girl demanded.

"No," Ellie smirked. "I think you're the girl who faked a yeast infection in the seventh grade to get out of writing an essay in class."

"That was a long time ago," Allison argued. "And you know that I'm no good at essays!"

"It was a book report on Goodnight Moon." Ellie sat up, grinning, and managed to catch the pillow thrown at her face.

"Shut up!" her cousin shouted, laughing.

They smiled at each other, and Ellie realised that, even with everything turning to shit around them, things would turn out okay. As long as they were united, the teenagers would win – they had to.

;

Isaac Lahey was back at school.

According to a very distraught-sounding Stiles on Allison's voicemail, Jackson had had a change of heart and decided to clear the kid's name – which would be fine if Isaac wasn't one of Derek's beta-minions.

Although, admittedly, he was much more tolerable than his counterpart, Erica, who still insisted on sending Scott lecherous smiles when she could.

One Google internet search revealed that the only Kanima known publicly was a were-jaguar from South America that went after murders. Ellie had never heard of a were-jaguar before, but they didn't seem awfully pleasant. In fact, they seemed about as appealing as a conversation with her grandfather was.

Ellie and Allison were permitted a late-entry to the school (for a reason neither of them knew), meaning they got out of economics (good – Ellie wasn't prepared to listen to Coach Finstock's abrasive voice after the sleepless night she'd had) but didn't get out of chemistry (unfortunately).

... which seemed to be a good thing.

"What?! Lydia?!" Ellie gasped, almost slamming her fingers in her locker form surprise. Next to her, her cousin stilled the tapping she was doing on her phone, giving her a worried look. "But, why?"

"Because Peter bit her, but she didn't turn." Stiles explained, sounding impatient. "Derek already 'tested' Jackson, so it's not him."

"But how can he even now if his stupid freaking test would work?" Ellie scoffed, "I thought he was just as uninformed as we are. Unless he's hiding a bestiary in his tighty-whities, I don't think he's qualified to be threatening a teenage girl with no proof."

"Yeah, well try telling the dick that," Stiles snapped. "Isaac and Erica are testing her today in chemistry – or so Jackson said. We can hardly trust anything that asswipe says." He paused, "And please don't talk about Derek's 'tighty-whities' again, like, ever. I don't want to be forced to imagine horrible images of him in his underwear."

"Don't pretend you wouldn't enjoy it."

Stiles spluttered on the other line, seeming to be lost for words. Well, she hadn't been expecting that reaction. Maybe he did have a thing for Derek?

"I- W- That's not what we're discussing!"

"Okay, Stiles," Ellie sighed. "I've got to get ready for class, missing two lessons is enough. I'll see you in chemistry. Oh, and Stiles?"

"Yeah?" he asked, sounding much more controlled.

She grinned devilishly. "You didn't deny it. Bye, Stiles!"