𝙿𝚊𝚛𝚝 12

12

•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•

The way I felt after I turned in the English assignment, it was like a heavy burden has been lifted off my shoulders. The assignment given about five days after resumption was due to submit today, and with Adunni's help I was able to cover a lot of grounds on the courses and topics that have been treated since day one when lectures began.

I used some of the money left in mom's savings account to purchase some textbooks I would be needing for this semester. Since Helen bought enough provision and foodstuffs to last us for a long time and my fees have been paid last semester when mom was alive, I decided to buy my books and pay for a few other expenses that may arise during the period of this semester.

With the way I was attending to payment ranging from courses registration to departmental dues, I was aware that the money left might run out before the end of this semester. I needed another means to earn money. Mom's other account was a current account and the customer service officer I complained to, informed me that the account was not that mature enough to start withdrawing cash from. Although, aunt Zainab and my uncle said I could ask them for help whenever I needed it however, I did not want to jeopardize my siblings comfort in that family. Whatever was going to pose a threat to the comfortable life my siblings were living was a no-go area for me.

I talked to Helen about my dilemma and she promised to help but she was taking too long to give me a feedback. I do not think she has an idea of how deep I am in the water that was about to swallow me. Out of eleven courses I was taking this semester, I had just three textbooks. Not to talk of the handbooks and course registration that was pending.

After the midweek service, I waited behind just as Bro. Joel requested of me. When I walked into the service, Sis. Mildred—our head usher had given me an embrace. She told me that they were informed about what happened late which was why they did not come to visit, but they truly sympathized with my family. I smiled and thanked her for her kind words before I walked away to get a seat for myself.

“Nnenna,” I heard him calling. He concluded his conversation with one of the members before walking to where I was seated.

“Good afternoon, sir” I started.

“How are you doing dear?” he asked.

“I'm fine,” I answered.

He nodded then huffed a sigh.

“Our sincerest condolences for what happened to your family, although I apologise for not being there for you...”

“It's okay, really”

“No, it's not. You were my responsibility and I let you down. I will always regret doing that,” he brushed the tip of his nose.
Then he fished out a brown envelope from his pocket and placed it on my palm.

“This is the little token we set aside for you. In the future, we hope to do more. Please always let me know if and whenever you need help,”

“Thank you. I will, I appreciate all your support. Please send my regards to all the team as well, this will go a long way to help” I said.

After thanking the rest of the members I saw in the hall, I left for my hostel. We had a girls' night at my place. Helen and a few girls staying in the hostel organized a small party for all the girls in the hostel to know one another very well and spend sometime together.
At first, I was hesitant to go because I was tired of the pitiful stares and the way people treated me with pity but had a change of mind when Adunni promised to come as well.

Adunni was not staying in the same hostel however, we were allowed to invite whomever we wanted and I invited her.

Helen told me to return in time because she requested for a cloth vendor so we could do some indoor shopping for the party.
By the time I arrived at the hostel, the place was loud and blasting with songs not loud enough to disturb the surrounding environment but audible enough to create awareness.