32. Secret Meeting

Start from the beginning

"So, just checking I'm okay with this stuff?"

"Pretty much. I already mentioned that I'm thinking about some ageplay. If you're not familiar with the term, that means acting like you're younger than you are. To some people it's a fantasy, something that appeals to them and they can't explain why. Some people want to call their partner 'Daddy' or 'Mommy' and rely on them completely, like a child's absolute trust in their parents. Others don't need a partner, and it's more about having the opportunity to step away from their obligations and responsibilities. To imagine they're too young to worry about politics, taxes, or deadlines. To step away from all the adult fears, and imagine the world being simple again. It's a different thing for different people, you understand? And it's nothing to be ashamed of or laugh at someone for. I think you might have seen some articles about it that Gabby shared on FriendSpace a while back."

"I don't really use FriendSpace," Tess said with a shrug. "I haven't seen anything she posted. But if it's something she wants to do, I don't mind."

"That's good. But I do want to be sure that you're really comfortable with it before I ask her. You don't have to be exposed to our weird hobbies if you don't want to, and you shouldn't feel obliged to play along unless you're really comfortable with it. If you think that would make you uncomfortable, I'll ask her later."

Tess nodded slowly. That was when she stopped having second thoughts about going along with what Gabby had asked. When Ffrances talked about it like that, she felt like she really understood why Gabby wanted it so much, and she knew that she had to help her cousin. This wasn't some weird obsession; she would do whatever it took to feel a caring family around her, just like Tess had gone to great lengths to stay near her friends. She had to help her cousin, so the only thing left was psyching herself up to actually say the words.

"I can understand," she said. "I think maybe..."

"You sure?"

"Yeah," Tess nodded, trying to overcome her own embarrassment. If it was this hard just to say that she was okay with Gabby acting like they were the same age, how hard must it be for the adult to say she wanted it? She could really understand why she'd asked for help now. "I'm okay with that, and maybe..."

This time Ffrances didn't say anything, just waited. She wasn't pushing for an answer, but Tess knew that she would have to say it sooner or later.

"Maybe I can join in, if that would make her happier. It's something I'm willing to do, I think. I mean, nothing extreme, but... I'm not exactly sure what you've got in mind, but I feel like I can trust you to be the responsible adult."

"I'm going to suggest that Gabby can act the age she is in the photo again, and maybe a little younger if she seems to be enjoying it. If she finds it hard to get into the role, I might offer hypnosis just to help it feel more real for her. Just a break from all her workplace stress, so she's not worrying about friends or deadlines. I'm sure you can empathise with that a bit."

"Y–yeah. But if... I mean, she's been worrying a lot about looking after me. So if I'm playing along with her, can we be the same age? Like, she can think of me as like a fun cousin she gets to play with. Not like she's responsible for me like we are here, and not like she's the babysitter in the picture. I think that would be better for her."

"You'd be more comfortable if she wasn't in a position of authority?" Ffrances hit the nail on the head, as always. Tess wasn't sure if she would go as far as being hypnotised, even if she was curious to see how effective it was. She wasn't particularly enthusiastic about being a little kid, but she told herself that if it would only be a year or two, barely any difference, and it meant so much to Gabby. She could do that; but she wanted to make sure that the two women had the same idea in mind. Gabby would be a teen again, and Tess would be too. Just a few years, like Gabby had said, but she needed to be sure that was what was in Ffrances's mind too.

"Yeah. Hey, maybe I could be the older one. I promise I won't pick on her."

"We'll see. We'll have to discuss it again, when Gabby can agree. Okay? I just wanted to make sure you're really okay with this, we're all on the same page, and you don't feel pressured to go along with it. We probably won't have time to actually do anything this morning, not now. So you can think about it while we prepare and eat lunch. Reach your own decision. You can decide which variant of the idea appeals to you, and discuss it with Gabby a little to make sure you can find a compromise. But I see that it's important to you, so I'll promise right now that whether or not we decide to use the hypno route, whether you are taking part or acting your real age, Gabby will know that you are older than her. In fact, I'll ask her about that now. I don't want to spoil the surprise, but I could make sure she'll let us know if that would bother her."

Tess nodded, but then something occurred to her.

"Will she want to know what we've been talking about? It seems weird having a private chat when she's sleeping right there."

"The human brain hates missing memories. It's one of the odd things you pick up. Your mind will often fill in the gaps if you don't remember something. To her it will seem like you've been talking all morning, and then I came in and asked what's for lunch."

"That's a little scary. If I do that..."

"Then I won't make you do that. Okay? If you opt in to hypnotic recreation and relaxation, it will always be agreed in advance. No surprise trances, and only ever the suggestions that you asked for. Whatever they might be. That would be my normal insistence anyway. It's a little different for Gabby, but that's because we know I understand what she's into, and because I know how she likes surprises. Even if you said you wanted to be ambushed like that, it would be many months getting to know you before I'd be willing to try it."

"Thanks."