“She’s uh, wow,” Zia said, literally speechless. “Are you guys dating?”

“Yeah.”

That was probably the most oblivious question, Shaia’s profile was filled with pictures and videos of the two. Zia couldn’t blame Jordan though, she was beautiful and it sucked that she could so easily admit it.

Why was Zia worrying? She and Jordan were friends, teammates, coworkers, and she wouldn’t do anything to jeopardize her career. Especially a boy. She would not let him fuck up her mental health, but then again, Jordan was so good to her, in every way.

They weren’t even dating and he was better than every man that Zia had ever had an intimate relationship with. “So uh, can you meet us for dinner tonight? We’re thinking Indian food.”

She wasn’t a white girl with sensitive tastebuds. Fuck, how was that even relevant.

Zia cleared her throat, “Uh, yeah. Send me the details.”

A large smile formed on Jordan’s face and he excitedly rubbed his hands together like a child. He really thought she was happy about it and Jordan wasn’t dumb so Zia must have been good at hiding it. “Yay, ill text you the details, so-”

“Hey Jordan, I gotta go. Love you bye.” She blurted as she abruptly hung up the phone. It took all of her willpower to not stop sobbing right now. Zia Rahomes was not going to cry over someone she had no feelings for.

Or at least feelings she could admit.

Truth was, Zia really liked Jordan. He made her feel something that she never felt before and the fact that the relationship was strictly platonic made it so much better. 

“He what now?!” Karla shouted as she gripped the steering wheel in fury

Zia was nervously playing with her silicone phone case as Karla ranted on about how Jordan was a horrible person and led Zia on, which was not the case. The friendship was mutual. Nobody was leading anyone on and if that was the case, they were leading each other on.

The constant physical touch, late-night calls, positive affirmations, really made Zia feel something. “Karls lay off him! He didn’t lead him on. We were friends, w-we are friends.” Her voice cracked towards the end.

Karla could hear the pain in her voice, causing her to shut up. Zia now had to pull herself together within 2 minutes. The two pulled up to a casual Indian cuisine that instantly made the air smell like middle east spices. Her mouth watered at the thought of spicy chicken curry and garlic naan. Food never failed to lighten her mood.

“Be a bad bitch Zia. Put a smile on that pretty ass face of yours. Don’t let a washed-up lightskin and well, a caucasian ruin your mood. See! Look, ass looking fat as always.”

The curly-haired girl chuckled as she exited the car. Karla opened the door for the 2, instantly spotting Jordan and the unknown girl. “Karla! Z!”

Oh, fuck this.

Shaia was prettier in real life. 

“Oh my god, hi Zia. I’m Shaia, its really nice to meet you. Jordan talks about you all the time, i uh, got you a gift.”

The blonde girl held up a small lilac gift bag with wrapping paper and Zia took it, plastering a forced grin from ear to ear. “Jordan said you liked when things smell good, so i, uh yeah.”

Inside of the bag was 3 large Bath and Body Works candles, something that Zia had told Jordan she loved. She could smell the pleasant aromas waft up into the air, somewhat soothing for the awkward situation. Karla sniffed the bag, giving Zia an approving look.

Call Zia stubborn but anything Shaia did couldn’t do practically anything to erase the feeling of envy and wrath that she had felt towards her.

These feelings were so random. Why did she realize that she maybe kinda sorta liked Jordan a bit more than a teammate as he was telling her about his newfound girlfriend? 

“So um Zia! Where are you from?” Shaia inquired as she placed an eye squinting smile on her face. Zia peaked her head from behind the menu ( that she most definitely was hiding her stank frown with ) and returned the beam. 

Yep, she’s talking to me.

“Well, I’m from the bay born and raised. I went to Notre Dame though.”

Shaia nodded as she took a drink of her sprint, making a satisfied noise. “That’s cool! I’m from Oregon. I go to UCLA and-”

Zia inhaled deeply as the blonde rambled on about her personal life, and knew today was going to be a long night.