FOUR

Days had passed now since the first day I went to the construction site to work and Papa was still acting strange. Papa would go out early in the morning and come back late at night, sneak around like he was a thief in his own house which was strange because he was the kind of person who always made his presence known when he was around.

I decided not to confront him and just continue trying to earn money so my friends and I could go to the city.

A few days later, we were heading back home. We decided to walk because according to Chinedu it helps us to endure better which I knew was a lie, it was because we didn't have money for transport since their fathers didn't come to work that day. 

While we were walking home, tired after a stressful day, Chinedu said that he thinks Abuja was was the best city to move to because all the 'big men' lived there and when I asked him why he said "o boy think about this thing na if we live with big men don't you think we could get good jobs fast". 

Chidi disagreed saying it was better to go to Lagos because that's where most people in our village went to but he changed his mind about Lagos when I reminded him that Emenike lived in Lagos. So Abuja was our choice now, it was a new place and we didn't know anyone which made it exciting.

For the next two months we saved the money we  made from our jobs at the construction site. They paid us one thousand Naira per day which amounted to six thousand a week because we worked everyday except Sunday. 

With Chidi and Chinedu's father helping us with money for transport, we didn't need to use our own money, as for my father well he was nowhere to be found, he just disappeared. Now I was beginning to understand what not having a father was like.

I woke up one morning and heard that he left without saying a word to anyone and ever since then no one had seen or heard from him. 

My mother on the other hand sold most of her wrappers and jewellery to support me and to take care of my siblings, watching her made me angry at my dad for leaving, at life for making us poor, in fact at everything.

After saving for two months, one day after work we decided to count the money, so we went to my house, sat under the mango tree and then Chinedu brought out the small 'khaki' bag which we used to save our money then we started the counting.

After what felt like forever we finished and discovered we had enough to take us to the city. Chidi shouted with joy, kicking the mango tree that didn't do anything to him, poor tree.

Then I told him to calm down so we could make arrangements to travel. We talked about everything that day except for where we were going to stay, I guess the excitement was too much.

The day before we left for Abuja had a different aura about it, everything felt very different. People were nice to me even the plantain seller who usually didn't like talking to anyone greeted me that morning.

I had to work harder doing some menial jobs in the morning for people before I headed to the construction site so that I could support my mother in taking care of my siblings . It was a very long day so I decided to sleep because I was tired and exhausted. 

I woke up that evening from sleep or rather I was woken up by Mama who then told me to come outside, then to my greatest surprise Chinedu and Chidi were already in my parlour with their parents. Then it hit me, some days before our parents had told us that it's better we travelled in from one person's house so it could make it easier for us.

***

As I sat down beside my two friends, I glanced at the clock and saw it was 7:30 pm and these people were here acting like it was regular and normal to be in someone's house at this time at night in this village. 

I remember rumours about some boys who hid in the bushes at night and attacked unsuspecting passersby. It was so serious that the king of our community made laws that prohibited movement around the village after 6 pm yet my friends and their parents were in my house by this time. I expected them to come earlier 

As I was still perplexed looking around at Chidi and Chinedu with their parents supporting them while my dad was nowhere to be found, my mom did her best to support me but I needed my dad for that masculine support, for his harshness that made me want to be strong.

I snapped out of the thought and accessed my friends' dressing. Chinedu was wearing a yellow shirt tucked into black trousers while Chidi wore a blue shirt also tucked into the trousers. I looked at them thinking to myself that the only thing missing to make it their normal Sunday attire was a Bible.

I was still thinking about my friends outfits  when papa Chidi started clapping loudly then everyone followed, then he sang and prayed ending it with a loud " In Jesus mighty name I pray " which was followed by a thunderous "Amen".

Mama then told me to prepare my room so my friends could find somewhere to sleep. To my mom, my room was always dirty.

I made my way to my room and said to myself "where will I start from" because my things were still a mess (so I guess my mom was right).

The night went pretty fast, I chatted with my friends for a while and before I knew it, it was already 9:00pm. I decided to get water, while I went I saw my friend's parents chatting and laughing with mama but something was missing, my dad. My mom was sitting alone on the couch while the other two couples sat together.

I stood there for a while watching them, missing my dad even more. Then my mom suddenly stood up and came towards my direction and took me to a corner and told me not to worry about my father

Soon enough food was ready and we ate happily, mama put my friends' food and mine in the same plate reminding me of how when I was younger that was how it was with my siblings while my parents ate together. 

When we were done eating and washing the dishes we were told to go and make sure we were ready for our journey and then sleep. 

My friend's and I were in my room talking and joking when I heard a voice from outside shouting "open the gate, open the gate" The voice was very familiar but it  sounded distant, I was sure the person was outside our compound. I stood up from my bed and then looked at Chidi and Chinedu, who were also looking shocked. 

As I was still contemplating if to go open the gate or not, the person started banging on the gate still shouting "open the gate, biko open the gate" then ran as fast as I could and opened the gate only to see Papa. He looked tattered and ruffled like he was beaten up then the only thing he kept saying was " you have to leave, they are coming".

Thank you very much for reading this chapter. You all have been wonderful. 

A Lot of things are happening in the next chapter, see you then😉😉