CHAPTER III: LISTEN FOR LIES

February 8th, 1975

He knew what he was supposed to do. That had been apparent from the beginning. That was what made the choice so difficult. What he was supposed to do and what he would do were not the same. This would have been fine if he would face the inevitable consequences, but he wasn't. There was something beautiful in his violence.

It wasn't the hate itself, as it was a disgusting display of pain and misery. That was what propelled the misery and the fact that although he had this violence; he didn't understand where it came from. It was at that moment that she realized that there was hope in changing him.

We could discuss the implications of the phrase "meant to be." If we wanted to drown ourselves in a sea of backwardly referential semantics and other mumbo-jumbo. Maybe such a discussion would cause the determination that "meant to be" is exactly as meaningless a phrase as it seems to be, and that none of us is doing anything at all. Sometimes there isn't an appropriate answer. No matter how you try to rationalize the outcome, it makes little sense. And instead of an answer, it simply left you with a question. Why?

But that's our existential underpants underpinnings showing. It's the way the cookie crumbles. Though explaining the phrases "meant to be" and 'star-crossed lovers' would be useless since they both have two completely different meanings in how they're referenced.

Luke had sat across from her trying to imagine it was the first time. It wasn't. Had it been a hundred? It could have been. Two hundred? Probably not.

Though let me ask you this, how long does it take for two people to confess their feelings to each other?