No. 43: You're Worth Every Risk

Start from the beginning

Virgil stifled his grin behind his phone. "No comment."

"How... how did you know we were going to watch Amphibia?" Logan whispered, shaking his head.

Janus tossed his head with a confident grin. "Oh, I have my ways."

"You heard it from Patton, gotcha," Virgil concluded.

Roman and Remus came into the auditorium, arguing about something—go figure. When Roman spotted Virgil, though, he abandoned the argument entirely.

"Hot Topic!" He rushed over and gave Virgil a kiss on the cheek. "Okay, opinion on The Locked Tomb series?"

"I think we might have to change our costume plans," Virgil said. "I love Harrowhark to, like, infinity."

"Hmm, you'd like dressing up as her more than dressing up as Westley?"

Virgil gave Roman a little tap on the nose. "Eh, we can save you in a Buttercup costume for college. You'd be a great Gideon."

Roman sighed. "True, true. I was looking forward to you going all Dread Pirate Roberts."

"I'm sorry, you two were going to do a Princess Bride—" Janus started.

"Actually, we could still do that if you and Remus are still settling on your costume," Virgil realized, pointing at him. "You guys could be Gideon and Harrow based on height and body type difference alone."

"What are we talking about?" Remus asked, coming up to them. "Hi, Jan-Jan."

"Virgil gave us a suggestion for a Halloween costume based on a book neither of us have read," Janus informed him.

"Ooooooh." Remus nodded. "We've already settled on something, but thanks, Virge."

"Guys guys guys guys!" Patton skidded up to the group, flapping his hands excitedly. "Persephone's on her way!"

"Excellent!" Janus crowed, rubbing his hands together. "Now, the sapphic confession of a lifetime can begin!"

"How have they not confessed already?" Roman wondered, shaking his head slightly. "Those two should be, like, on millionth base right now."

Virgil snorted. "Millionth base—what even is that? Gay space wedding with Gandalf and... I dunno, fucking Dumbledore?"

Roman raised his eyebrows. "That's... that's exactly what it is. Wow. You got that spot-on."

"Lesbian space weddings should be with Galadriel and Eda instead," Remus put in.

Patton shushed all of them, looking back up towards the entrance to the auditorium. "She's coming. She's coming. Be quiet."

The door opened and Persephone walked in, stopping in her tracks when she saw the crew doing an awful job of pretending to not pay attention. "What," she said dryly.

Janus smiled nervously. "Happy Valentine's Day, smaller sister?"

"I'm your height now, Bitch Cipher. What's going on, and why am I here? It's not rehearsal day."

Roman let out a triumphant laugh. "It's catching!"

Patton waved her down, grinning. "There's someone who's waiting for you."

"Why do you have that look on your face?" Persephone asked.

He pointed towards the stage.

Pam came out from the wings and gave her a little wave. "Hi."