Three

Hollyleaf swiped into the water, sending ripples. The fish tried to escape her grip but she was stronger than it. She pulled it into the air then on the ground, killing it with a swift bite.

"Great catch!" Fallen Leaves purred beside her. His paw was raised, ready to plunge for prey.

"Did you ever fish with your...group?" Hollyleaf asked, she didn't know what Fallen Leaves called him, his family and the other cats.

His gaze clouded with memory, "I- I don't remember." He glanced at his paws. "I think my mother taught me...? Or...I don't know." Grief edged his voice.

Hollyleaf pressed her muzzle to his cheek, a sign of comfort. She didn't know what to say to that. Maybe she shouldn't have asked.

Then a idea came to her, and excitement fizzed her pelt. "What if..." She began "What if we go looking for your group! You could reunite with all of your-"

"No!" He growled, "We can't do that! My mother will have forgotten about me. I wouldn't even know where she is!"

"But that's what I'm saying," She said in a more softer tone, "its never to late to start looking. Imagine how happy your-"

"Stop" He turned to her, his eyes dark. "stop saying that. It is too late."

She opened her mouth to reply but he turned away. "Leave me alone. I- I don't want to see you right now."

She watched him for a moment, feeling wrenched. "But-"

"Go away!" Hearing all the anger in his voice made her flinch. "I don't need Broken Shadow, I don't need you, I don't need anyone! What's the point of loving someone when you'll just lose them!"

"You still have me."

He glared at her, "Do I though?"

She blinked at him. Anger built up in her. "See how much you don't need me. We'll see how long you can last without anyone."

He laughed mockingly. "Then your going have to wait a long, long time Hollyleaf."

Hollyleaf only stared at him. Her anger melted into grief. Seeing all the anger in his eyes, she didn't recognize him at all. Then she turned tail and ran deep into the tunnels. He didn't call for her back. She didn't care where she was going she just wanted to get away from him before she would say anything she'd regret. She ran and ran until her lungs burned. Hollyleaf stopped, catching her breath. It came in a sob. And she stood there, tears running down her face.

What's the point of loving someone when I'll just lose them, his words echoed in her mind. I don't want to see you right now. I don't need you. 

"Well I don't need you!" She cried, unsheathing her claws. She a deep breath and began walking again, more slowly. Her belly was rumbling, she didn't get the chance to eat that fish she caught. 

After a while of walking, she settled on the hard ground. Hollyleaf burred her muzzle in her fluffy tail and closed her eyes, taking deep breaths to clam herself down. He doesn't really mean that, she thought, right?

Hollyleaf must have dozed off eventually, because she was woken to a low growling. Opening her eyes, she saw the blazing amber eyes of a fox. Alarmed, she jumped back and hissed at it. Then the she-cat realized it was a cub, no bigger than a apprentice. Still spooked, she slowly backed away but the fox just followed her slowly. 

Hissing, she clawed at its nose, and turned tail and ran. There was a yelp behind her, then a deeper bark.

Oh great, just great, its mother just what I need. She was eventually out of breath and sighed. Did it follow me?

Of course it did.

Teeth bit into Hollyleaf's leg and she cried out in pain. She clawed at the mother fox, trying to get free. It let go and blood ran from Hollyleaf's leg,. The fox continued to bite at her, and she found herself getting weaker and weaker. She continued to fight the best she could, until she lost consciousness. The last thing she saw was a flash of ginger and white blinding her.

What???? I wouldn't kill off one of the characters already would I??? I'm not that evil right??