Chapter 5 - Needles

*✧ ───────── ✧*

The lady that entered after the Commander and Sky left was very peculiar. She looked 'human' but her features were sharper, more eye-catching than the other humans I had seen in my short time on Earth.

"Hi there," she said, wheeling in a cart with various pieces of equipment, "My name is Kat. What's yours?"

I shrugged.

"Oh, that's alright. Sky told me he's worried you might be sick so I'm going to run some tests to make sure you're healthy, okay?"

I nodded, but did I really have a choice?

She examined my eyes, ears, and mouth. Each time she checked something she'd go over to click around on a weird device. She attached wires to my forehead and neck, gently moving my hair out of the way.

"We'll get you cleaned up soon, I'm sure you would want a nice shower huh?"

"Shower?"

She looked at me curiously before attaching another wire to my face.

"Now we're going to take some blood okay?" she said, turning to grab a needle out of a bag and my wrist.

I don't know why I hit her hand away, she hadn't done anything to hurt me yet, but the sight of the needle made my chest tighten. Was she going to put me to sleep?

"It's alright, I just need to take some blood to make sure you're healthy okay?"

"No," I whispered.

She looked at me with the same weird look Sky did earlier, "I need to get a sample, it'll be really quick."

"You're not going to put me to sleep?"

"No," she said, "You'll be awake the whole time. It'll just be a prick of pain okay?"

I took a deep breath before nodding. She pushed the needle very carefully into my arm making me wince in pain. She pulled it out after drawing some of the red liquid into a tiny bottle.

"All done," she smiled.

I didn't say anything else, just stared at her as she clicked on the device and rearranged the wires.

"So, is it true you only remember life on the ship?" she said after a while.

I nodded.

"Nothing from before the ship?"

I shook my head no.

She clicked around again, "How old were you if you thought back to your first memory?"

"What do you mean?"

"Were you just starting to walk around, or just starting to talk? I remember my earliest memory was from when I was 5."

I looked at her confused, what does the number mean? "I... was young. But I could definitely walk and talk. I got sent on a mission."

"What was the mission?"

I thought back as hard as I could, I remember leaving the ship, being scared as I went down to the planet in the pod.

"It was... a deal I had to finish. I had to get a weapon from a city on a planet."

She nodded, "What was the weapon?"

"Oh, it was multiple actually. Swords, blasters, even some weird looking knives too. It's where I got my sword, as a reward for my first mission."

The memory felt... blurry. Like I was in someone else's body entirely.

"Were you happy on the ship?"