Chapter Thirty-six

Start from the beginning

"Ma'am, we need you to clam down and stop the car. You are breaking the law."

I sighed of course I was, I had stolen a police car.

"We can talk about this, deep breaths ma'am, we will not press charges." I ignored the voice and drove on following the black car without a numberplate.

I looked around. By my right stood the proud and tall mountain, the highway climbing even higher and to my left sat an open space of vastness. I could tell that vastness held things at the bottom, some that could easily enhance a quick death.

The person was still saying something, but my mind was on the car. It moved to the left and I was slow to react. It was now directly behind me.

"How long is this highway?" I asked out of the blue. That shut the blabbering woman up and she thought.

"It is the longest one in the area."

"Are you following the car?"

"Yes, the highway on the other side has been blocked. We are waiting for you." I swallowed.

"My life is in danger. I am being chased by a stalker the person's car has no number plate. I told you there was someone else." I looked at the review mirror and true the person did chase after me. She coming up fast, too fast.

The car collided with mine. A scream escaped my lips and for a few minutes I lost control of the steering. I could feel something wet on my forehead. The windscreen was cracked with a drop of blood here and there. I had no seat belt on. I had not bothered with it. I looked to my side and horror filled my face I was on the wrong side of the road. With a thin fence separating me from the great vastness.

Too occupied with trying to control the car as well as my beating heart and unstable breathing, I didn't notice the car turn off its head lights and move to my side. The second collision came so fast that I almost fell out of the open window. The car moved in unsteady motions and my head pounded. There was a deep cut somewhere on my body, I couldn't tell where but I did feel pain.

I gripped the wheel tightly and tried holding myself together. The car tried to come again but I hit the breaks just in time. The woman lost control of the wheel and almost ran out of line denting the wired fence in the process. She hit the gas trying to aim for me and the car moved back wards at full speed.

It took a while for me to understand the mysterious workings of the manual car. Giving up I turned to the right side giving the woman an advantage over me. But when I looked back she was gone. Had she fallen into the great vastness?

"Can you hear me? Is anyone there? I repeat can you hear me?"

The voice said but it sounded muffled in my ears. I heard water sounds and not a calm demanding voice. My breath was starting to fail me and so were my hands I needed a break. My head felt heavy. I was practically seeing red.

I had just let go, trying to bring the car to a halt when the bright headlights of a car before me blinded my line of vision. My scream filled the dark night before it was overcome by the nothingness of silence.

§§Pamela

I knocked on the door and waited for a response. I didn't get one, so I pushed it open.

"I am not taking that vile concoction whatever it is."

The figure laid bandaged from head to toe, with small little splits where the eyes stood and a tiny whole for the mouth. It looked uncomfortable.

"I am not here to give you a concoction. I came for a visit."

The figure looked at me. I could see her trying to eye my form through the small space of the bandage.

"What the hell do you want?" She asked.