Chapter Thirty-five

Start from the beginning

"Jane." I giggled and walked over to the fence. She held a glass of wine to her lips. She eyed my figure.

"Honey you are going to freeze in that thing." I looked down at my almost bare legs. I placed the jacket I had over my shoulders and shrugged.

"I have worn way worse during the winter. If you think I am crazy then you should have seen Pamela's outfits. Now she is a diva." The lady smiled.

"I do not see her with you. Will you meet her at the club?" My smile dropped.

"No today she won't becoming. Something came up." She nodded but didn't ask any more questions, though a frown grazed her lips.

"I am not comfortable with the notion of you going all alone. I never let my daughters do so." I shrugged. What was I to do?

"I better get going, enjoy your evening Jane and don't worry about me. I can take care of myself." I pulled out my phone to call a cub, I wasn't in the mood to drive.

"You aren't ging with your car?" I shook my head no.

"Well then hop in, I could drop you. The boys are playing video games and it is as loud as it can be, a short ride won't kill me." We both walked up to the car, and I was grateful that wouldn't stand outside in the freezing cold while waiting for a cub.

She got into the driver's seat and started the car. "Oh, dear my glasses. I will only be a minute darling." She slipped out and made a bee line for the front door. I admired the interior of her car, neat and comfy. My car was something else.

I looked at the side mirror and caught a figure stating by a pole, not far but again not too visible. A woman stared back at me. Something glittered in the darkness before she disappeared into the night.

"So hun where to?"

I jumped in my seat. I had not heard Jane get in and close the door. I looked back out the window. Maybe it was good idea that I wasn't staying home, seeing the figure put me on edge. I told Jane the address of the club and she gladly drove me there, all the while chatting about her children and grandchildren.

As she spoke with light in her eyes and laughter in her voice, my heart died a million times more. Children. My clock ticked. I wanted them to, I wanted a family and I wanted it with Nile. But I knew that wasn't possible.

"Have fun sugar, and don't walk home alone at night. If you need a ride you could always call." I nodded as I watched her drive out of the small parking lot. There weren't many cars, which was not a surprise as the space could only house not more than twenty cars at the time.

The little path to the club was empty to with only bottles of beer and flying news papers to keep me company. I began my journey of moving forward, already hating my choice for heels. I turned back.

I swore I heard someone follow me. No, I was nervous. I reminded myself of my initial plan. Go in hook up, have sex and boom dump him. It seemed fine to me, the best plan ever and no one would catch feelings. 'We don't even need to know each other's names.'

But the closer I walked, the more I felt an impending danger loom over me.

"Noreen."

"Nile." I jumped. Holding my frantically beating heart. He was dressed in simple blue jeans and a shirt, his jacket sat unbuttoned. The thickness of his muscles could be seen underneath the material he wore. He was the definition of sexy.

"What are you doing here?" I asked even though the answer was obvious.

"Pamela called, she said you would be going to the club and you were alone. I wasn't comfortable with that knowledge of you being on your own but she threatened my balls and told me to come protect you."

I stared at him open mouthed. "She told you to follow me?"

He shrugged. "More of like if anything happens to her, your balls will have it."

That was the thing about having a best friend that cared. "Well then you made the right decision, had you not she would have inflicted pain in more places than your balls."

He looked at me. "She isn't capable of hurting someone."

It was my turn to laugh at him. "The next time you see her, ask her about Jimmy, it is a long and interesting tale one from which you will learn she is more unstable than a stalker."

I got an uncomfortable feeling that there was a third person listening. I looked around and saw a couple leaving the club too deep into each other's mouths.

"So, are you going in?" His deep voice made my bones shiver. I nodded. He walked over to me and wrapped his hands on my body.

No we are players, players don't get back to their ex-players play, they use people they-

"Noreen." The one word from his lips made me come apart. But the next thing I was falling with his heavy weight on me and something hard poking my stomach.

It took me a while to realise I was on the ground with Nile's heavy weight pressed on my me, then there was the continuous drop of something warm. I pushed him off slowly and almost screamed.

"Shut it damn, you will wake everyone up." I couldn't help it. Panic rose up in me as the blood flowed from the wound in his stomach.

"It's buried deep." He grunted in response. I screamed again.

"Someone call one four four. Help." But no one seemed to have listened. I heard footsteps behind me and turned. There was a figure in black in the furthest corner but even the person looked shocked.

I screamed again. "Call an ambulance." Blood was pouring out of his mouth, I had to act fast but even my hands shook. I grabbed my phone and dialled the emergency number, a female picked on the first ring.

"You need to pull out the knife and stop the bleeding." Nile spoke with blood pouring out of his mouth. I shook my head. "You said it, it is deep."

He smiled "I know." Then pulled out the knife. It came out with a gash of blood. I pulled off my jacket and pressed the cloth to his wound. Was this right? Was it the right thing to do? I couldn't tell. He placed his hand over mine as I screamed for help. Someone had to come.

He stared behind me. His eyes focusing on some figure. "My past is coming for you." When I looked back I found only the blank space. It mocked me.

"It's okay Nile, don't worry the ambulance is on its way, do you hear it?" A smile played on his lips but his eyes flattered closed.

I screamed more.

"I swear if I could silence you with a kiss I will, but damn it stop screaming. You are ruining your make up."

I pressed the wound and bit on my tongue to keep from uttering a word. I was pulled aside as someone bent over Nile. Apparently the red cross were the first to arrive on scene followed by the police then an ambulance.

 Apparently the red cross were the first to arrive on scene followed by the police then an ambulance