Chapter Twenty-nine

Start from the beginning

"I have your treats, if you could just bring me your plate." He ran off to the kitchen. I could hear the racket as he tried removing his plate from the lowest part of the shelf that had all his things.

I placed the tray on the centre table and looked at the woman. She didn't acknowledge the contents of the trey.

"I could make you something else of you want. I wasn't sure of coffee."

She shook her head. "No, it is fine."

I sat down and picked up my cup. The hot liquid warmed my cold throat. Ollie came trotting back with two plates, confused I looked at him. "Since when did you start using two?"

A small figure unclothed itself from Skylark's feet. It moved to my direction and rubbed its cold nose on open palm.

"Rhemy, you brought him with you."

She looked at the small ball of fluff. "I could not leave him. I have grown used to the little fella, especially now that he is eating well."

I served the two of them and settled back into my seat. This was going to be a long night. She stared into the low burning fire. Her hands clenching to the cup tightly. It was on the tip of my tongue to ask her what was wrong, but I felt I would be intruding.

"I am being blackmailed." She said simply as she watched the dancing flames. I looked at her face, she seemed tired and stressed and I doubted that was good for mother and baby.

"I did something I was not supposed to do. If my father found out about it, I would be in so much trouble. My damned mother doesn't give two shits." She brought the cup to her lips.

"You could go to Kyle for help you know." I said as a matter of fact. She looked at me, hope shone in her eyes.

"Why would he want to help me? I am way below him, I didn't deserve his help not after all the bad things I did to him." I held my peace, maybe I could talk to him on her behalf.

"Please don't tell him I am here. I know I am crushing in on your life but could I stay here for a few days? I do not mind paying the bills or doing chores. I just need my head to chill and find a possible way out of my mess."

I nodded slowly. "What did you do if you do not mind?"

She snapped back into that bitter bitch. Her mouth twisted into a scowl as she glared at me. "I do mind and it is none of your dammed business. If you are not comfortable with me staying tell me and I will go." I could see hurt in her eyes.

"No, no, I am sorry Miss Stanfield. I didn't mean-" I stood up and took in a breath. "I will get the guest bedroom ready for you and check for the other clothes."

By the time I was done I was exhausted. She was in bed with a set of warmer clothes. I headed to the kitchen for a late-night snack, nope I was not watching my weight so I was free to eat all I wanted.

Ollie and Rhemy shared a spot in the living room before the fire. I added a bit more wood even though the hitting system was on.

"Maybe I could do these tomorrow it has been a long day, Kyle wouldn't even ask for them." I cleared away the papers. I checked the time on my phone and a smile lit my face, I had a message and from Kyle.

I can still smell you on my fingers.

Well, that was not the type of message a woman expected from her boss but it would do. I picked the phone up to reply but then a file caught my eye. I pulled out the sealed folder that didn't have a sender but an address, a single name Kyle.

Curious I tore open the brown paper and poured its contents on my dining table. Shocked, I took closer looks at the photos displayed. There was a CD and a threatening note attached to it. I was not as curious as I was before, as I already knew what the CD held.