Chapter 46: Two Sides Of The Same Coin

Start from the beginning

It wasn't clear if the shirt was Natasha's or Katya's - did they even know themselves? - but Maya bunched it up and tossed it onto the bed. Her own pajamas would go back into the bag, because this shirt was large enough to be a nightgown.

After that one shirt, she discovered a lot more clothing in that closet. Jeans, a sweater with a SHIELD logo, socks, sweatpants, and even a - kind of risky - going out dress. How did that get there? Maybe one of them had crashed at this place after a mission once? 

A soft knock on the door made Maya look up, staring straight into Lila's excited face. For some reason, it caught her of guard, a light blush creeping up on her cheeks while she put her shorts on a shelf.

"Hi. Can you find everything? We could also do a sleepover in my room a couple nights if you like that better than sleeping alone.'' Maya had no time to answer, because Lila saw something on the bed, smiling brightly as she walked to it. ''Oh, that's so cute!''

She had picked up the stuffed animal Maya brought, making heart eyes at it. She didn't seem to find it weird that Maya still slept with them, which relieved her.

"Mom won this for me, from the fair," Maya said softly, her expression warm when she thought back to that day and to that moment. She really, really hoped Katya did better, and had full faith in Natasha to help her.

"It's adorable.'' Lila gushed at it, turning it around in her hands as she sat down on the edge of the bed. It reminded Maya of Yelena who grabbed her trophies. ''How long are you staying?"

Maya sat next to her, a bit uneasy with this stranger. "A week. I think."

Lila nodded excitedly, like she knew that already. "Dad and I made a list this morning after you called.'' She put the animal back and pulled a paper from her pocket, flattening it on her leg hastily. ''Look, I put archery on tomorrow, and soccer on the same day. Cooper always plays and makes fun of me that I can't do it." She rolled her eyes, which made Maya giggle, both of them bent over the piece of paper. "Anyway, I also did a movie day on Tuesday, because then the weather will be terrible..."

She rambled on and on, dizzying Maya to the point where she had to stop listening and instead would just see what would happen from day to day.

These five people had adapted to her sudden arrival like pros, as if this had been planned for months. In no way did they make her feel like an intruder, instead taking her in like a long-lost daughter.

And Lila? Maya knew she would have fun with. In fact, the girl reminded her of Tess, her friend from soccer. Always smiling, always so kind. The kind of people that made her feel warm and light.

"Girls! Lunch?"

Both their heads shot to the open door, Laura's voice traveling up the stairs.

"Coming!" Lila stood and took Maya's hand, tugging her downstairs. "Let's go. I'll explain further downstairs."

Surprised, Maya stared at their intertwined hands, their feet pounding down the stairs, excitement buzzing in their bodies. Yeah, this would be a fun week.

Natasha

Katya's mind was still all kinds of messy and fuzzy half an hour before they had to leave for therapy.