Chapter 9

A/N: Enjoy a quick drawing of everyone's favorite wholesome uncle :> 

WARNING: pretty clear references of past (physical) abuse. Proceed with caution.

***

Altair couldn't help but be worried. He was sure they would be fine without him, and in fact, it would likely be a good opportunity for them to connect if he wanted her to become a reliable support system as he hoped. But still, he couldn't help it. Ideally he would be at least eavesdropping on their conversation, which was quite easy to do unnoticed, but alas, that had not been the case today.

Well, this was a good opportunity to take care of things inside the house, he supposed. His hand found its way to the bandage wrapped around his forehead, concealing the wound that was healing up nicely.

Everyone had been in quite the shock after he came home drenched in blood last night, especially his mother and uncle who both were simultaneously worried and livid. They had been discontent that they wouldn't be able to stay with him at home to take care of him, even more so knowing Altair would likely work around the house. Still, despite the fact that his grandmother would be watching him eased their worries just a bit, it didn't stop them from fretting over him, especially his uncle Zek who had hovered over him with great concern.

He did feel apologetic though after he had refused to officially report his injury, as his mother had been adamant about asking for a leave so he could recover comfortably— and to stay away from Scorpius for awhile. She was definitely not happy after he explained that it was to prevent Scorpius from getting into trouble, but it was for the best. He was unsure what disaster could happen next if his grace were to find out that Scorpius had reacted violently again. Still, reported or not, he did take the leave after her and his uncle's persistent insisting.

Just as his mother and uncle predicted, after he had completely wiped down the dining table and the various wood surfaces, he then settled on dusting the well used bookshelves lined against their walls. It's been awhile since he got to clean like this, since the work when he served Scorpius was all done dutifully by the maids, and it had been awhile since he had done a good thorough clean of this place after he became so busy with constantly attending to Scorpius.

He heard his grandmother rise from her bed in the other room, and he quickly let himself into her room where he handed her her cane.

"You know you don't have to do that, Ahru. I'm fine." she said softly in Ii'ahn tongue. They had been using that more, after Altair had become fluent under Renald's teachings.

"Sorry, but after last time your legs gave out on you again, being careful also helps."

"Fine, fine." she sighed, and she took the wooden cane in her worn hands, the other reaching to pat his head affectionately.

He pulled out her chair for her and she sat herself down comfortably in front of her asiel, where an unfinished painting was laid out to dry. It was a beautiful landscape, Altair observed, of a bright and clear sunny day, where the mountains in the distance framed a seemingly endless sea of wildflowers.

An Ii'ahn woman was standing in the foreground, her face obscured, but the soft brown brown pelt indicated that it was likely their great grandmother. Was this their motherland perhaps? Their grandmother was born there after all, before she was enslaved and rescued and eventually married into the Black Dogs. Did such a beautiful place exist there?

"You work so hard, Ahru-ya," his grandmother said, picking up her brush. "You can rest a bit, you know? You're still hurt."

Tearing his gaze from the painting, he laughed. "I'm fine, Grandmother. This is mostly for Mother and Uncle to stop worrying, really. Condition wise, I'm fine. It was just a small cut."