10: Bakugo's Starting Line

Start from the beginning

I'll show all of them.

•••

After the battle training, the class changed back into their uniforms and went back to the classroom. Without a teacher around, they were finally free to bombard Izuku with questions and compliments.

"Midoriya!!"

"That was so cool, what you did back there!"

"No wonder you got first in the entrance exam!"

"Guys calm down!" Iida shouted, "give Midoriya some space!"

Izuku's classmates immediately backed away a couple of steps, but that didn't douse their excitement.

"Dude," Kaminari screeched, "your quirk is way too cool!"

"It's not just his quirk," Asui Tsuyu said in her naval voice, "he's obviously really good at analyzing things and forming strategies as well."

"You guys are too nice. I mean really, Todoroki and Bakugo are way more talented than me..." Izuku was definitely redder than a tomato by then.

Ashido Mina laughed, "aww, look at Midoriya, trying to be all modest."

"Bro, if you aren't talented, I don't know who is!" Kaminari said.

Then everyone fell silent when a voice they haven't heard since the battle training spoke from the other side of the classroom.

"Maybe it isn't talent."

Izuku tensed as Bakugo got up from his seat and walked slowly towards the crowd.

"What do you mean?" Kirishima asked Bakugo.

"Maybe," Bakugo kept his eyes on Izuku, "he received something."

Izuku's throat tightened. The air seemed to solidify between them.

"Received what—" Kirishima wasn't able to finish his sentence before Bakugo interrupted him again.

"Don't think you can fool me, Deku." Bakugo growled, "And this is the last time you'll win me, you hear?!"

He turned and whipped a finger at Todoroki, whose face betrayed no emotion.

"You, too, icy bastard!" Bakugo huffed, then shoved Kaminari out of the way and went back to his seat.

"What did I do..." Todoroki muttered in confusion.

•••

A few days later.

"Someone cleaned the beach..." Katsuki frowned at the spotless beach and the ocean that fell and rose against it.

He hadn't been around this beach park for a pretty long time, but that old hag of a mother of his just had to make him run errands on a freaking weekend morning.

He scoffed at the scene and wondered who was stupid enough to clean a dump.

Then he saw the nerd.

Deku was sitting far away on the beach, legs crossed, eyes closed.

After the battle training, the mere sight of the green-haired boy made Katsuki want to punch something.

"What the hell is he doing...?" Katsuki moved closer, trying to see if Deku was up to something.

After a minute or two Deku opened his eyes and placed his hands on his forehead, his shoulders tense.

Katsuki knew Deku was stressed.

Suddenly, Katsuki realized with a jolt what a stressful Deku meant. "Dammit, if he starts muttering..."

Deku started muttering. And like always, it annoyed the hell out of Katsuki.

The green-haired boy was too far for Katsuki to understand what he was saying, but a few words managed to drift over and catch Katsuki's attention.

USJ.

Villains.

League.

The core.

Finally, Deku looked at his phone and seemed to check the time, then stood up and jogged away towards the direction of his apartment.

"The hell..." Katsuki shook his head then walked away, the few words Deku muttered echoing in his head.

And for the millionth time, Katsuki wondered what in the world that nerd was hiding.

Whatever he's hiding, I'll beat him, Katsuki thought.

I always win.