29. Living On A Prayer

Depuis le début

Sister Wen strolls towards the front gates of Cloud Recesses. Jingyi debates whether or not to follow her alone, or find Sizhui and alert him. But as she wanders farther and farther away, Jingyi waits until she's far enough...

He stalks after her.

•••

For hours, Jingyi trails behind, far enough to duck behind the thickets if she turned back but close enough so that he wouldn't lose sight of her.

After some time, Sister Wen reaches a small hut at the borders of the town, enclosed by tall trees. The hut is plain and quaint. It overlooks an ancient bridge arched over a babbling brook, its grassy banks sprinkled with flowers. Jingyi leaps into a bush.

When he emerges keenly, peering between the leaves, Sister Wen is nowhere in sight.

Jingyi curses, "What? Where—"

Something cold and sharp pricks his neck. Jingyi freezes. Slowly, he turns to look over his shoulder.

"Don't move," an icy female voice mutters. "The needle is enchanted with a vicious poison that will guarantee you a slow, painful death."

You had me at 'Don't move'. Jingyi doesn't dare utter it out loud.

"Stand up."

Jingyi rises steadily to his feet, swallowing the tight lump in his throat. The needle remains poised at his jugular, prepared to slit open his throat at a moment's notice.

"Now... who are you? And why have you been tailing me?"

Jingyi clears his throat nervously, "M-my name is Lan Jingyi. I am a disciple of the Gusu Lan Clan. I swear, I didn't mean any harm—"

"Bullshit."

The needle tightens against his skin. Jingyi's eyes widen.

"Wait—wait! Please don't kill me. I know Sizhui—no, Ah Yuan! Wen Yuan!"

Hearing that name, Sister Wen pauses. Silence engulfs the two shadows for a long moment.

"Wen Yuan?" she repeats.

"Yes!"

"You lie."

Quick as a flash, Sister Wen's needle raises up and is just about to strike when a third voice shouts, "Ah Qing, no!"

Jingyi and Sister Wen swing in the direction of the voice.

Jingyi gawks. "You!"

•••

"You imbeciles!"

It is now the dead of night. The five major Clans have gathered in the Yujing Gu Clan's residence, the Jade Alcazar, to discuss what to do next about Wei Ying. The five men stand in a circle on the edge of the courtroom, behind a podium for each Clan Leader. Wei Ying kneels in the middle of the circle, restrained by uncountable amounts of charm-proof chains, head bowed.

"Gu Clan Leader, please understand—"

"Understand what?! I understand that my daughter's life was put in danger because of that swine! Now... you come here telling me he didn't mean to do such a thing? Without even the proper evidence? You wish me to excuse him?"