8- End Of A Legend- 106

Start from the beginning

106's form beings to change back into his younger self as he remembers the events that lead to his anomaly. He closes his eyes.. it is almost like he is back on the battlefield.

Suddenly a man grabs Lawrence's shoulder. "Corporal, are you with us?!" He asks in a gruff but concerned tone.

Lawrence quickly looks around, seeing his old platoon and commanding officer. He then makes eye contact with the man. "Yes, Sergeant. I must not have slept well last night. I have been having such horrible dreams."

The Sergeant nods understandingly. "We are all having trouble sleeping when death awaits us at any moment. Right now, I need you sharp. We found a hole just a click from our trenches. It is possible the enemy is using it to infiltrate our line. Trouble is.. you are the only one skinny enough to fit into it. We need you to scout it, clear it, and then get out so we can fill it in. Understand?"

Lawrence nods sleepily and rises to follow his commander. In a blink of an eye, he stands before the before-mentioned hole. A nagging feeling fills the back of his mind as if he had been here before. 

"Lawrence?!" A female voice whispers in his ear.

Lawrence whips around to see where the voice came from but sees only his platoon.

"Are you okay, Lawrence?" One of the men ask.

Lawrence looks around. "Did.. you just hear a woman's voice say my name?"

The man shakes his head. "Nah, man! There are no ladies out here with us!"

"Missing your sweetheart, Lawrence?!" Another man asks jokingly.

Lawrence looks down at the hole thoughtfully. "I guess so.." 

"Proceed, Corporal! Take your sidearm. That hole is too narrow for a rifle and too risky to take grenades." The commander orders.

Lawrence removes his helmet, ammo, rifle, and other equipment so he can fit and maneuver in the hole. He then begins into the hole but stops to look at his commander. "If the hole widens, I will yell back for my rifle."

"Understood." The commander replies.

Lawrence begins crawling through the hole. The dirt is dry, indicating the hole was not freshly dug. This makes him uneasy as he remembers it had rained only yesterday. He continues, for what seems like forever, until the base of the hole suddenly falls out from under him and he lands on his back. He groans as he slowly gets to his feet, finding that he is now able to fully stand with no obstruction.

He looks up, unable to see any light from where he came. "Well.. safe to say I am not getting my rifle.." He sighs.

"Who are you, unfortunate one?" A male voice asks, in a hushed tone.

Lawrence pulls his military-issued 1911 and points it in the direction of the voice. "I am with the French Military, Corporal Lawrence! Make yourself known or you will be shot!"

An old man in ragged, mud-covered clothing slowly steps forward. "Oh, thank goddess! I have been trapped here for a couple of days now! Those damn Germans threw me into.. what I am assuming was the other end of this tunnel, and then sealed it up."

Lawrence raises an eyebrow. "Why would they do that?" He asks, cautiously eyeing what little he could see of the man, by means he had not yet realized.

"They blamed me for the disappearance of their soldiers, saying I was a cursed individual. I swear I had nothing to do with it! I had been in the hospital tent since they found me!" The old man replies.

Lawrence slowly sits back down, grunting in pain.

"Are you hurt?!" The old man asks, starting slowly towards Lawrence.