Chapter 3 - The Ascent

Start from the beginning

"Anyways, you ready for the big day tomorrow? Going back up there...?" Nora asked. She was just as worried about all this as her sister. Even though it's been six years, it still felt a little too soon to be going back up there.

    (Y/N) sighed and shrugged. "I wanna say I am but I don't know."

    She felt a hand carefully grab hers and looked up to her sister. "Whatever happens up there, promise me you'll come back again. Don't go doing anything crazy and don't push yourself too hard! I know how you are when you get that inspired look in your eyes."

    (Y/N) couldn't help but chuckle. Despite everything she went through, she still gets amazed at new discoveries with her job. At least she never lost her passion. "I won't, don't worry."

"I'm being serious. I don't want to get another call saying my sister disappeared on the job! I wasn't able to sleep for weeks!" This whole Reclamation Day had both sisters stressed. They were the last members of a broken family, losing the other meant losing a huge chunk of themselves.

"I'll be fine." (Y/N) reassured her. "There will be almost 30 Capturers protecting us, including Jules and Axel. They won't let anything happen to me."

    Nora had to take a deep breath before slowly nodding. She's been to the labs and seen how tough the Capturers were. Ever since the breakout incident, both their training and the security's escalated so that if another breakout was to occur, they'll be able to handle it without going into lockdown. Not to mention, she's seen how tough Jules is in combat and it made her feel a bit better knowing that he'll be looking out for her sister.

    She narrowed her eyes at her sister though and leaned in with a finger poking (Y/N)'s nose to make herself clear. "That man better protect you or he'll need protection from me..."

    (Y/N) widened her eyes and quickly nodded. Nora can sometimes be scary when she's super serious.

    After Jules came back, the couple grabbed their things and began heading out. (Y/N) said her goodbyes even though they'll be stopping by again in the morning to see Lil B again before they left for who knows how long. The time set by the Hub was 6 months but Sarati estimated that it'll be 4. Either way, it was a long time before they got to see their daughter again so they wanted to make sure that their last moments with her counted.

    When they did return, (Y/N) had to keep herself together when she heard "MOMMY DADDY!" as soon as they walked through the door. She was fighting back so many tears while trying to keep a smile as she tightly hugged her daughter and swung her around in her arms, making the toddler giggle.

"Mommy and daddy won't be gone for too long, alright? Before you know it, we'll be back and you can play with us for as much as you want!" (Y/N) spoke as she set the girl back on her feet.

    Lil B ran to her father next as he scooped her up off the ground. "Tomorrow?" She asked in her small voice.

    Jules saw the waterworks his wife was about to have and turned so his daughter didn't see her mom crying just in case. "A little bit longer, baby. But don't worry, we'll be back. Just don't give your auntie Nora too much trouble and BE NICE to Tyr." The two kids got along but sometimes Lil B can be a little too rough with her cousin.

"Ok, daddy." The toddler replied knowing she was gonna go mess with her cousin right after her parents left.

    Both parents kissed the girl on her cheeks and said their final goodbyes before leaving. As soon as the door closed, Jules looked to (Y/N) who was fighting for her life not to cry. But she was losing.

"You're gonna cry?"

"I'm gonna cry!"

    She cried.