Family, friends, and those in between

Tubbo's leg bounced nervously as their carriage rolled down the road. It was silent, save for the soft sound of hooves hitting dirt. Tommy sat beside him, restless from the long ride as well as his missing friend. Wilbur sat next to Tommy for comfort. The two always seemed more relaxed around each other, and Wilbur knee how to help when Tommy was under or overstimulated during the journey.

Phil and Techno sat across from them. Both of them kept their gaze out the window, as if watching for something. It was almost unnerving how their eyes flicked over the tall grass and trees, ready to jump at any second.

Tubbo thought it was odd, how paranoid they were. He knew that the kidnappers were out there, but would they really try and attack during the day? With fully armed soldiers surrounding them? How stupid would they have to be?

The answer was not stupid at all. They were calculated, waiting for the perfect opportunity to strike. The soft rush of arrows in the air. The guards fell simultaneously. The horses spooked, halting the carriage abruptly and throwing everyone inside into one of the walls. Then they rushed the carriage.

"Techno!" Phil shouted, pulling out a sword that was well concealed in his robes.

"I'm here." Came the pinkettes reply, a sword already in his hands.

"Wil! Keep the boys safe." Phil commanded.

Wilbur nodded, pulling the boys closer. Phil jumped out, slicing an attacker's throat on the way.

"Wha-whats going on!?" Tubbo asked, putting a protective arm around Tommy.

"We're being attacked." Wilbur said, almost calmly.

Tommy whimpered, pressing his hands over his ears. The fighting outside was loud, and sudden. It made that itchy feeling build up in him. The feeling that made him want to scream.

Tubbo's eyes widened, noticing Tommy's breathing pick up, "Tommy! Tom's! It's okay! We're gonna be okay! Just listen to me Tom's. Please don't start screaming..."

Tommy shook his head hard. It made his hair fall against his skin over and over again. It helped with the itchy feeling. He shook his head harder.

Wilbur hugged the boys close, "we're okay. Phil and Techno will protect us."

Tubbo nodded. Then he felt a tug on the back of his shirt. It was brief, he almost didn't feel it before getting yanked back towards the window.

"WILBUR!" Tubbo screamed.

In a flash, Wilbur slashed a small knife up the attacker's arm and pulled Tubbo back to safety.

"I'll protect you." Wilbur told them as Tubbo shook.

Soon, the sound of fighting stopped. Wilbur waited for Phil or Techno to come in and tell them it was okay to leave. But it didn't happen for a while.

Phil had followed a man down into the surrounding forest. He was running towards someplace, following unseen paths practiced hundreds of times over. Phil didn't know where the man was going, but he knew it was somewhere.

That somewhere was a camp. Tents and fireplaces. Long poles stamped into the ground. Few people were there, it seemed most of them had been in the attack. The ones that remained were guarding something.

Phil's eyes widened as two parted. It was Karl. The young man was tied to a pole, and though Phil couldn't see very well from this distance, he could tell Karl had been crying.

There were only about five people there, Phil could take them if he had Techno there as well. But Techno was back with Wilbur and the boys. Maybe he could...

Phil ran through the people, slashing through as many as he could before he reached Karl. The king quickly cut Karl's bonds.

"Come on!" Phil pulled him up before the attacker's recovered.

The two ran back through the woods, stumbling towards the carriage. Techno's eyes grew wide as he saw them and he jumped into the driver's seat. Phil shoved Karl as gently as he could into the carriage before taking his place next to Techno. A quick snap of the reins and they were speeding down the road.

Once they were far enough away, Phil slowed the horses. He handed the reins to Techno before turning to the shocked and silent boys.

"Is everyone okay?" Phil asked.

Tubbo and Tommy nodded. Wilbur as well. But Karl shrunk back into a corner.

"Wha-what are you going to do to me?" The young man whimpered.

Phil gave him a soft smile, "we're taking you back to Kinoko Kingdom. I'm King Philza, do you remember me?"

Karl shook his head, "no, I-I don't."

"That's okay." Phil sighed softly, "do you remember Sapnap? Or Quackity?"

Karl nodded, his eyes lighting up, "they're my fiance's."

Phil nodded, smiling lightly, "mhm. We're taking you to them now."

Karl's eyes flicked over everyone, "do I... Do I know you?"

Phil sighed, "yes. We're from the neighboring kingdom, the Arctic Empire. We're friends of George, Dream, Sapnap, Quackity... And you."

Karl nodded slowly, "I... I think I remember..."

"Don't worry about it." Phil told him, "we don't visit often."

Karl seemed to relax, "so, why are you going to Kinoko?"

"One of my son's." Phil responded, "he wondered off and got lost. Dream and Sapnap found him while looking for you."

Karl's eyes furrowed, "I thought you only had two... Wilbur and... Um..."

"Techno." The pinkette glanced back.

Karl nodded. Tubbo shuffled slightly in his seat.

"Phil adopted us a few days ago." Tubbo said, "me, Tommy, and Ranboo."

"Oh." Karl whispered.

Phil spoke up again, "now that we've established who we are, are you okay?"

Karl nodded, "yeah, I'm okay. I don't think I'm hurt too bad."

Wilbur frowned, "are you hurt at all?"

Karl shrugged, "just some rope burns and bruises. I think I'm okay."

The carriage bumped over a bridge, coming to a halt at a gate. Techno turned around.

"We're here." He said.