T W E N T Y F O U R

Start from the beginning

"What is it Rafe? I'm tired."

"I didn't tell the cops. I didn't tell my dad. John's job is safe. You're not going to get taken away. Nobody is in trouble, everything is fine. I made it okay. So, I think me and you can start over. We can try again."

Harley froze completely stunned. She blinked thoughtlessly at the boy stood hopefully in front of her.

Me...and you... can start over.

"What?" Harley balked at the idea. "No. Rafe no."

"Yes. Why not?" Rafe looked like a lost puppy. He wanted a genuine reason and Harley could give him one hundred.

"You hurt me... a lot."

"I didn't mean to. It just happened. My dad would get me so mad or my sister. And then you hurt me, too."

"Why would you want to start over after everything?"

Rafe shook his head and stepped closer putting his hands on her arms. He held her gaze, "I need you. You make everything so much better, you make everything feel easier and you make me feel lighter. You make me happy and I really need happiness, right now."

"Rafe." He was putting a lot of pressure on her. She didn't want to have the weight of somebody's happiness resting heavily on her shoulders. Not when she struggled with her own. "No. I'm sorry."

Harley stepped back out of his reach trying her best to ignore the pleading in his eyes.

"Harley..."

"Hey Country Club!" A cocky, teasing voice hollered from behind Harley.

She turned to see Barry parking up his truck and hopping out. When he saw Harley his smile widened. He held out his arms to the pair as if to bring them into a hug.

"Hahaha, no way. Are you two back together? You've taken her back after sinking your car," Barry guffawed. "I guess you really are a siren, little miss snow white."

Harley paled at his nickname. He had started calling her that when he realised cocaine sales were much easier when she seemed to be around. Especially, when Rafe and he had made her take some. The memories made her shiver.

Barry stopped beside her and twirled a strand of her inky hair around his finger, he smirked as if to make a comparison with the nickname. "How are you, Baby Doll? You've got some balls sinking my boy's car and then showing up like this." He let her hair drop before swinging an arm over Rafe's shoulder. "But if he's forgiven ya, so have I. You can come hang with us. I have a few grams to spare."

Harley cringed away. Barry had never been mean to her, but he still made uncomfortable goose bumps rise on her arms. He made her nervous in a not so nice way. It was like he was always calculating something in his mind and that had put her on edge every so often. More so when he would switch on Rafe and treat him badly. She could see what he was capable of. Yet still a part of her felt less empty when in his presence. He felt familiar.

"No thank you, Barry."

Rafe shifted uneasily under Barry's hold. His eyes flickered from Harley, to Barry's pockets to anywhere and everywhere really. Harley noticed the small packet edging out of Barry's shorts pocket. She knew what is was and could see that Rafe wanted it. She shook her head softly at Rafe not wanting him to go with Barry.