Part 2

Chapter 2:

I pulled out my cell phone, dialing the head of the Guardian Council. Reporting what had happened at the Badica house. They said they'd be here in a couple of hours.

Rose left me in the house, saying that she was going to wait out in the car. I examined the house further, trying to see if there was any evidence on who the Strigoi might be. For instance: hair, fingernails, skin cells. But to my dismay, nothing was left. Sighing I decided to join Rose.

We didn't say anything, but that was okay. I was lost in thought anyways. Thinking about how this incident was going to change the Moroi world. Never before had humans worked with Strigoi. Never before had they even known they'd existed. As Rose said: This changes everything.

Finally the first group of guardians showed up, I opened the car door and glanced over at Rose. "You should see how this is done."

I figured since all of this happened Rose should receive somewhat of her test. She needed to graduate, and I was determined to make that happen.

She hesitated for a moment and then got out of the car to follow me. I knew the guardians that had arrived. Some I wen't to school with, the others I met when guarding Moroi. They were surprised to find a novice on the scene, but none of them protested Rose's presence.

She walked behind us as the guardians examined the house. They didn't touch anything but they knelt by the bodies and studied the bloodstains and broken windows. I had discovered earlier that the Strigoi had entered the house through more than just the front door and back patio.

The guardians discussed what was best to do about this situation. They asked me how this had all happened, how they had managed to get through the wards. I reported telling them that it was most likely humans. I was positive. Tamara, the only girl in the group of guardians, knelt down next to Arthur. She was my age, we had guarded the same Moroi for years. She had black hair that barely touched her shoulders.

Sadness flickered in her gray eyes as she studied the dead guardian's face. "Oh, Arthur." She sighed. "Never thought I'd see this day. He was my mentor." With another sigh Tamara rose.

I had known her well enough to remember her mentioning Arthur. Back then I was shocked that she had possessed such skills. Later on learning that Arthur was the answer behind that.

I could see Rose tense. She was at a distance from me but that didn't stop me form noticing the way her muscles flexed. I prepared myself for Rose's outburst.

"How could they do that?" She blurted out. Six sets of eyes turned to her. I was curious as to what she was going to say next. "How could they kill him?"

Tamara gave a small shrug. "The same way they kill everyone else. He's mortal, just like the rest of us."

"Yeah, but he's... you know, Arthur Schoenberg."

Time for her test. "You tell us, Rose. You've seen the house. tell us how they did it." I said.

She took a moment to think about my question. Finally she spoke, and I knew she was going to be correct, by the flash of realization in her eyes. "There were four points of entry, which means at least four Strigoi. There were seven Moroi...And three guardians. Too many kills. Four Strigoi couldn't have taken down that many. Six probably could if they went for the guardians first and caught them by surprise. The family would have been too panicked to fight back."

"And how did they catch the guardians by surprise?" I prompted.

I knew the answer already but I wanted Rose to think of it for herself. I knew she was bright, I just had to bring it out of her.