What Was Hope Doing in Your Dreams

A 13-year old Artemis sat in the passenger's seat of her older sister's truck as Achelois drove them back home

A 13-year old Artemis sat in the passenger's seat of her older sister's truck as Achelois drove them back home. Achelois recently had gotten her license which meant that the 2 girls could go visit their father whenever they wanted. Well, that is, if whenever meant when their coven was unaware and it wasn't a full moon. Unfortunately for them, it was the night before a full moon, meaning that they had to be home before the morning to help with the preparations. Full moons were an all-day event. As Achelois drove out of the small town where their father lived, she became more and more tired. However, Achelois wasn't as tired as Artemis, who quickly fell asleep with her head against the window. As Achelois continued driving, she became more distracted and less aware of certain things occurring on the road.

The girls were two hours into their three-hour trip when it happened. Achelois didn't mean to hit him. He came out of nowhere. She would've swerved if it wasn't for the car in the next lane over. The lane to her right. If she would've swerved Artemis would've been gone. She made her choice. Artemis woke up when she heard the brakes screech. Achelois did use her brakes, she was just going too fast.

The two girls quickly hopped out of the truck once Achelois pulled over, running over to the old man who was fortunately still breathing.

"What, what did I do it? What do I do? Artemis did you remember to bring the emergency phone? Oh, my gods, what did I do? I mean he just came out of nowhere! I tried to move out of the way. I didn't mean for this to happen. What am I going to tell Tatli? Or, or Mami? Oh no, what will Mami say?" spiraled Achelois. As she ranted, Artemis quickly got to work, despite only being 13, she was an extremely bright witch. She thought about a spell she had heard about from Hope Marshall, a French Quarter witch. Though she didn't know much about their magic, she was sure that if she tweaked it a bit to fit her coven it would work.

"Tenebris anima vestra contundito mortem et conteret spiritum." she chanted as she pushed her palm up towards the moon before pushing it down onto the man's chest, her hand getting coated in blood. The man was coughing slightly but she could feel his breathing slow, meaning that she needed to hurry up. "Frange vitam nolite corde ut sub terra esse, ad tenebras usque in sempiternum" she continued, grabbing onto her pendant with her bloodied hand.

"Metz, no! Don't do it!" screamed out Achelois, tears streaming down her face, trying to pry her sister away from the man. Artemis looked up at her sister, tears welled up in her eyes as well.

"Motus" she chanted, using her clean hand to send her sister flying onto the left shoulder, landing on her back. It wasn't enough to injure her, but it allowed Artemis to continue.

"Tenebris anima vestra contundito mortem et conteret spiritum" she concluded, now holding one bloodied hand towards the moon and holding her other hand on his chest. "Invisique" she chanted before standing back up. The body of the man and the two sisters would now be invisible to any passing cars.

"Metz! Why would you? You know what could happen! Tatli just told us a couple of weeks ago!" screamed out Achelois. She grabbed onto Artemis's shoulders and pulled her to the side of the road.