𝐲𝐞𝐚𝐫 𝟒 - 𝟑

Beginne am Anfang

Only McGonagall emerged from the room, twenty minutes later, looking flustered and worried sick. 

"Everyone, back to their dormitories at once," she instructed. "Your Prefects are in charge. Go, quickly."

No one dared disobey her with her crooked hat, which was always meticulously positioned, and falling apart bun, which never had a hair out of place. When we got back to the common room, Percy was so distracted that he didn't mind us waiting for Potter to come back before going to our dorms.

Well, Hermione and I decided to wait for him. Weasley went straight to bed with no explanation but an irritated expression on his face.   

We must have sat around waiting for an hour before Potter stumbled through the portrait hole, rubbing his face tiredly. 

I jumped up. "What happened? Are you alright?"

"I'm a Triwizard Champion," he said, looking down at his feet.

"Oh, Harry," Hermione sighed, coming forward and rubbing his arm sympathetically.

"Where's Ron?" He asked, looking around.

"He went straight upstairs," I answered. Then more quietly, "I think he's cross with you. He thinks that you found a way to put your name in the goblet without telling him."

"Is he mad?" Potter exclaimed.

"I know, Harry," Hermione said. "But can't you see? He's jealous of you."

"Why in the world-" he began.

"I know it sounds crazy to you," she continued, "but he's always felt second-best to you. Anyone would. You're Harry Potter. He feels like he's only ever been seen as your best friend, and nothing more."

"That's absurd," Potter scoffed. 

"But it's true," I said softly. "Just talk to him, alright?"

"Alright," he sighed. "In the morning. I feel absolutely terrible."

I felt worse than terrible. I felt like this year was already doomed for The Boy Who Lived.

True to his word, Potter spoke to Weasley in the morning. The second he walked down into the common room, determinately ignoring us, I waved him over.

"You better come over here, Weasley," I said loudly. He reluctantly shuffled towards us, not looking anyone in the eye.

"How did you do it?" Weasley finally asked. Potter only looked at him, confusion etched onto his features. "Never mind. It doesn't matter. Might have let your best friend know, though."

"Let you know what?" Potter asked, annoyed.

"You know bloody well what," he replied. 

"I didn't asked for this to happen, Ron. Okay?"

Now Weasley wouldn't respond.

"You're being stupid," Potter said, about to turn away.

"Yeah that's me," Weasley shot back. "Ron Weasley, Harry Potter's stupid friend."

Potter walked up to him until their toes were touching. "I didn't put my name in that cup," Potter spoke angrily. "I don't want eternal glory. I just want to be..." he sighed. "Look, I don't know what happened last night, and I don't know why. It just did, okay?"

Weasley rolled his eyes and walked away. "Piss off," he mumbled under his breath, but Potter caught it. He began to go after him, but I caught his arm.