The End of the Earth

Začít od začátku

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

"Shuttles five and six now docking. Guests are reminded that Platform One forbids the use of weapons, teleportation, and religion. Earth death scheduled for 15:39 followed by drinks in the Manchester Suit."

We're walking down a hallway when we hear the announcement.

"So when it says guests," Rose questions, "does that mean people?"

"Depends what you mean by 'people'." The Doctor answers her, honestly I'm not even sure why Rose is asking, we're out in space, in a space ship, in the future. I doubt there would only be human beings on board.

"I mean, people, what do you mean?" She tries to clarify, and a snort slips threw my lips, causing her to glare at me, "Oh come on Rosie, expand your mind a little." I say, earning a smack from her. I try to jump out of the way, but only end up running into Doctor. Thankfully he grabs me by the sides, not letting me fall over. I smile up at him in thanks, and he smiles and nods back before letting me go. Then turns to Rose to answer her question, "Aliens." Is the simple reply she gets.

"What are they doing here? What's it all for?" I ask him as we stop suddenly. He pulls out the sonic screwdriver and starts looking for something in a control panel on the wall.

"It's not really a spaceship, more like an observation deck. The great and the good are gathering to watch the planet burn."

"What for?" Rose questions

"Fun." Rose and I shoot each other a look as he walks off, it's fun watching a planet burn?

We follow after him, and we end up in a large room, the ceiling is made completely of windows, and if the Doctor wasn't still walking away, I'd love to take a second to look at the stars. But up a head of us, the windows of the ceiling come down one wall, to make it a large window all the way from floor to ceiling.

I run in front of both of them up to the window, and take in a view of the Earth I never thought I'd get to see in person.

"Mind you, when I say 'the great and the good' I mean the rich." The Doctor explains.

"But hold on, they did this once on Newsround Extra. The sun expanding, it takes hundreds of years." Rose says, always questioning.

They finally catch up to me at the window, and I'm only kind of paying attention to what they're saying, more interested in what's going on outside.

"Millions." He clarifies, "But the planets' now property of the National Trust. They've kept it preserved. See down there?" He points out the window at what looks like satellites, gaining more of my attention, "Gravity satellites, holding back the sun."

"The planet looks the same as ever," I state after my silent period of observation, "I thought the continents shifted."

The Doctor looks down at me, taking in my awe with view, before he answers me, "They did, and the trust shifted them back. That's a classic Earth, but now the money's run out, and nature takes over."

"How long's it got?" I wonder, and the Doctor looks at his watch, "About half an hour, then the planet gets roasted." I don't understand why he sounds so excited about it, in fact, I'm a little put out by it, and you can tell when I ask, "Is that what we're here for?"

Rose asks immediately after me, not giving the Doctor a chance to respond to me, "Is that what you do- jump in at the last minute and save the Earth?"

"Somehow, I'm feeling a 'no' is the correct answer here Rosie." I mutter to her, but the Doctor sends me quick glance, letting me know he managed to hear what I said also.