Chapter 3: The Unknown Melody

Start from the beginning

Another morning heralded by the birds' singing, and another morning for Ella to explore the sky with her only friend. After yesterday's episode, she was lucky enough that her grandma believed her lie and didn't question her further. But luck will not always be on her side next time. Thus, she decided to tell the truth that evening.

Thinking about it makes her fingers fidgety. The sooner, the better.

Her concerned thoughts gyrated in search of a regal creature after an hour-long stroll in the huge field in solitude.

Ella sulked, her lips pursed in a little pout.

He was late.

Spending time with that dragon was the only thing she looked forward to every day. And today, she needed his company to vent her dismay while he would quietly listen. But it appears that it is no longer feasible, as dawn has already broken through the sky.

"Why do things almost always go wrong when I anticipate them to go right?" She grumbled as she tossed a pebble with her feet. It had only been a few hours, and the day had already become intolerable to her. How would she keep up with the rest of the day?

(Play the music mentioned at the start)

~♪♪♪⁠♪♪⁠♪♪⁠♪♪⁠~

From nowhere, following her hearing, a beautiful, unfamiliar melody serenaded her senses with an incomprehensible bliss.

When one is plunged into the dark pit of the materialistic world, the melody is like the only beam of pure light from the heavens to escape the sorrows. It was mending something deep within that had never been broken in the first place.

Ella was drawn to that song like a moth to a flame. She didn't realise her legs were taking her in a new direction since her mind was devoid of any prudence. The raging pandemonium in her head had quelled in a distant corner.

She stopped near the lake as her attention was caught by the silhouette of a man. The wind blew through her hair, revealing her face to the dawning sunlight. "What a lovely melody he's playing," she mumbled.

The man felt a presence and turned around, facing Ella.

Was it the supple, lively shift in the air that soothed her fragile heart? Or had the lush green beneath her rough feet soaked away all her fatigue?

Perhaps it was the unexpectedly familiar, delicate sparkles in those foreign obsidians that had bathed her senses in foreign yet comfortable serenity.

Everything was...different.

In each other's presence, time appeared to slow down.
Both remained calm and silent, basking in the comfort of stillness as their gazes wandered into each other's depths.

Ella reflexively curled her toes around the grass sprouts for extra foundation as those obsidians slowly lingered over her features.

"May I ask how you got here, because no one knows about this meadow?" The man questioned. His voice was as gentle as the morning breeze, yet it had a harsh undertone of manliness. He waited for her answer.

"Every morning I visit this meadow with a friend of mine." She replied softly, her shy gaze averted to a pair of swans at the lake's far end, swimming around each other. Ella was careful not to mention the dragon since she knew the people in her realm.