Chapter 3: The Unknown Melody

Play music when advised for better experience***

Autumn days whizzed by in the chilly breeze. And as winter drew near, the dead leaves finally found rest in the roots of the trees they had nourished for the season.

The meadow was their secret place to meet.

Ella and that dragon would ascend to the skies as soon as dawn burst through the mountains, flying amid the birds and plunging clouds. She would occasionally build an Onyxeye Dasies tiara for herself and the dragon while humming gleefully.

Both cherished each other's presence.

However, the threat posed by Ella's secret regarding the dragon persisted. She worries that her grandmother Rowena may soon learn the truth by herself, something she had hoped to be the one to impart to the elderly woman. She didn't lack courage so much as struggle to articulate herself with the right words.

How would she respond to her?

"Grandmother, I came across a dragon as I was getting ready to return home from the forest that evening when we ran out of wood. He has since become a friend of mine, and I quietly slip out every morning when you're asleep to meet that beast."

Certainly not if she doesn't want her grandmother to skin her alive. Furthermore, the horrible narrative of bloodshed that had been passed down through the kingdom's past would be enough for Ella's grandma to abandon her in her locked chamber for days.

Rowena can become strict when needed.

"Oh Dear! Be careful, child, the stew is boiling hot."

Ella was so deeply engrossed in her thoughts that she overlooked the fact that the soup was already boiling and brimming out of the pot.

"Here, let me see." Rowena approached Ella, placing the lead on the pot before removing it from the heat.

"It's a good thing it didn't spill very much." A little red spot around the thumb has appeared, but it will fade away shortly." With a sigh of relief, the woman murmured
"Where was your attention?"

Ella was taken aback by her her question. She blinked in confusion.

"I've been watching your actions, Ella. You zone out at times just like this. Is there anything bothering you?" Or perhaps there is anything I should be aware of. You know you can always tell me, Ella."

Ella felt her heart hammering in her chest as anxiety crippled her spine.

That's all. She was about to be grounded for at least a month, not to mention subjected to the silent treatment. How did grandmother find out about this? Did she spot me leaving early in the morning? She pondered.

"N-no, Grandma. There's nothing to be concerned about." Ella cursed internally for stuttering at a crucial moment. Ella, don't be a fool. Maintain your composure and confidence. "I was just thinking about changing the fertiliser because the basil and other herbs are drying out early." She said it assuringly, putting her arm around her grandmother's shoulders.

Rowena's wrinkled eyes conveyed suspicion.

The woman clearly did not believe Ella's response, but she chose to wait and give her dear Ella some room. She's already mature enough. She knew that if something bothered Ella, she would eventually come to her.

"As you wish, my child. Now let's eat before dinner gets cold. This old lady is famished."

∘₊✧༺❀༻✧₊∘