Chapter 34: An Event

Start from the beginning

"Isn't impressive?"

I gulped.

I don't think that this is a good thing...

The shock becomes more evident in Sister Krone's face when she heard it. However, she immediately controlled as she closed her eyes with a strange smile. "Gracefield Orphanage is truly admirable. I am glad to have the opportunity of working in that place~ ❤"

Yeah, an opportunity that will cost your life.

I don't know whether help or sympathize with her, cause just like me, she's just a cannon fodder. Sister Krone is also doing her job to survive anyway. Too bad, Mom is more good at working than her.

But if I were given a chance, I would also like to save her.

After all, unlike the other reincarnators and transmigrators. I am not reluctant to change the storyline.

"Grandma, what kind of special event would happen on the day of tifari?" I raised my head when Sister Krone said that. "What is the connection of Conny to that event?" She asked with a smile on her face.

"An auction."

"Huh?" I reacted.

Don't tell me...

'You want me to arrange it in a way where you can manipulate them,' I answered. I placed the paper on the table. "Am I right?'

Peter Ratri's smile went wider when he heard that. He glanced at me as if I am an interesting specimen for him.

'I'll try to balance the distribution of the... kids,' I paused after averting my eyes. 'I'll create different factions where we can both practice the quality and quantity of the... kids,' I informed him before taking the pen in his hand. 

'You seemed to know the hierarchies within the Demons,' Peter Concluded.

'I don't, but I speculate that there must be ranks within them,' I lied. 'But since you mentioned it to me, then there must be lower Demons and higher Demons. Queens, nobles, etc...' I paused. 'Then quantity is for the lower Demons and quality for the higher Demons.'

'Are you trying to recreate the system?' He asked before leaning himself to the table. 

No way! I am not that intelligent to do that. I'm kinda scared right now. Being a fake genius is so hard. Is it too late to go back and run away with them?

 'No, I'm trying to figure out if an auction could work,' I unconsciously mumbled. I don't know where did I get that word, but that was the first thing that came out of my mouth. I took a deep sigh before shaking my head.

'An auction,' he mumbled.

'No, Nevermind.'

Darn, he's really doing that? 

"There are no further details yet, but the caretakers of the farms already know about it. As Isabella's future assistant, you should also know about this," Grandma informed Krone. "After all, you'll her to take care of our goods."

"Thank you for informing me, Grandma."

I secretly clenched my fist when I recalled my conversation with Peter Ratri. I tried to not make it obvious, but this thing is making my head hurt. I thought that he'll just take the data that I created, but it seems worse than that.

"Grandma. What's the reason for informing me of this?" I asked. The two glanced in my direction.  "There must be a reason, correct?"

"Indeed," She answered me with amusement on her face. "No matter how hard you try to keep your moderation, you won't be able to succeed," Grandma told me. "Show me the real you, my child. Do not hold back."

"I am not holding back anything." 

"Are you sure?" She asked which made me hostile to her. "Then are you aware of the reason why Isabella asked for an assistant?"

Of course, I am aware...

However, I can sense that there is more than those words. I lowered my gaze when I realized something.

Mom knows the reason why I choose to become a Mom in training. And that is because I was hoping for the other children to escape. She must've already speculated that they already know a lot, but I could only trust Emma, Norman, and Ray for this.

Of course, Mom is not dumb. 

Grandma let out clack. "Do not overthink anymore. Eniza must've told you about the elimination exam," Grandma spoke. "The Head wants to trust your ability," She said. "That's why you are tasked to assist and to be the judge of your classmates."

"What?" I asked.

"Grandma, that's too much power for a kid," Krone who was only listening reacted.

"Krone, get out of here," Grandma told her.

"But Grandma--"

"Do you not hear me?" Grandma replied with a serious expression. 

"I'm sorry, Grandma," Sister Krone uttered with respect before gazing at me. "Goodbye, Conny," She said with a wide smile. Sister Krone immediately turned her back on us as she left Grandma's office. 

A moment of silence covered the room.

"I don't want to," I said with a firm voice, breaking the silence between us. I raised my face to look directly at Grandma. "I want to refuse. It's not fair for the other children."

I think I can't do that, I won't be able to do that.

"I am not asking you to be fair, nor you will become an exemption for the incoming elimination exam," Grandma told me. "But I want you to pick candidates for the incoming auction among your classmates."

"The sister academy faction needs to provide goods for that event. Prove to me that Isabella made the best choice when she tampered with your scores. Prove to me that you're truly more than that."

Tampered?

"What do you mean?"

•••••

Me: Why do you have to put a heart in Krone's Dialogues?

Also me: I mean--- It's Krone okay?

Anyways, Long time no see! ❤