Glimpse into his world

The group started walking to the Great Hall for dinner. Harry and Y/N still both had huge smiles on their faces. As they walked Hermione looked down and realised- she and Y/N were still holding hands.

She smiled. It felt so nice. So natural. She had panicked when she initially took the risk and held his hand but it had felt like the right thing to do at the time- she had felt relieved beyond words when he had squeezed back.

Hermione was pulled from her thoughts as Y/N was suddenly yanked away from her. In an instant he had spun, held his attacker against the wall, his left forearm against the attacker's throat, his right first raised and curled, ready to throw a punch as he looked at his attacker with narrowed eyes.

It was one of the Weasley twins, a look of terror on his face as Y/N scowled.

"Fuck Freddy! Don't ever do that again. I could've killed you man!"

Y/N was furious.

Fred Weasley looked at him and nodded in fear as George, who had hold of Harry, stared at his twin before breaking out in boisterous laughter.

"Oh Fred your face. I can't...I just can't".

Y/N released Fred from the wall before glaring at the still laughing George, who stopped immediately at the glare he was getting. He let go off Harry and started to speak:

"Ok so we were gonna tease you two about how dangerous Quidditch is but yeah...." He pointed to a still angry Y/N:

"...That. So congrats on making the team guys...Bye"

The two twins ran off. Quickly.

Harry looked at Y/N concerned and asked:

"You were joking about killing him weren't you Y/N?"

Y/N was quiet for a moment before answering simply:

"No"

Harry and Ron gasped. Y/N looked at them with a simmering intensity:

"Don't ever sneak up on me guys. Ever. I'm telling you for your own safety. I don't want to hurt you. Training with Jacob... it wasn't a game. He honed my instincts to be on guard constantly. Look for threats constantly. I can't tell you how many times I was woken up by being attacked-"

Y/N went quiet and looked away from the boys. Hermione wrapped him in a hug, her head facing Harry and Ron. Ron stood there wide eyed trying to process what he had heard. Harry looked at Y/N sympathetically before looking at Hermione and asking:

"Y/N's told you about it hasn't he?"

Hermione nodded in the hug. Harry returned the nod and added:

"He's lucky to have a friend like you Hermione."

"Friends like us" Hermione replied with a smile returned by Harry.

Y/N squeezed Hermione and leant down, kissing her on the head and whispered:

"Thanks Hermione. You always know when I need a hug or comfort. You're the best friend I've ever had. Let's get some dinner, I'm starved."

For a few moments all Hermione could think was:

Oh! My! God!

Before she replied with a cheeky:

"You're always hungry"

Y/N laughed.

"Guilty as charged"

The group continued to the Great Hall.

—~—

Y/N was quiet for the rest of the day. Friday was no different.

The students had Potions then Transfiguration before double History of Magic and then double Defence Against the Dark Arts to finish the week.

The group returned to the common room in the evening. Y/N sat on one of the couches but held his arms out, signalling to Hermione she could lean into him if she wanted to.

Hermione leant down in contentment, laying her head against Y/N's chest. She happily chatted with Harry as Ron played with his rat, Y/N looking into the fire, thinking back about... things... times... as he absentmindedly played with Hermione's hair. She didn't mind in the least.

Just before they had to got to bed Hermione's eyes went to the top of the boys' stairs and she caught a glimpse of Smoky.

The kitten was just staring at her. Glaring. Hermione looked away. If she didn't know better she would have sworn the Kneazle was angry at her.

At 10:00pm, just as they get up for bed, Y/N spoke for the first time since they arrived at the common room. He asked Hermione if she wanted to spend the next day after 'detention' in the library. Just the two of them.

Hermione was over the moon and agreed instantly.

—~—

The boys went up to their dorm. Neville was already asleep, Dean and Seamus we're talking on Seamus's bed.

Y/N stripped to his boxers as Smoky rubbed against his legs before saying goodnight quickly and closing his curtains as he and Smoky went to bed.

Harry was concerned. He understood completely why Y/N had been quiet. He thought living with the Dursley's was bad, but to not even feel safe in your own bed in case you were attacked. Never knowing where the next one would come from. He shuddered.

His attention was drawn to Ron who was noisily playing with Scabbers. Harry looked from Ron's bed to Y/N's. Ron was his friend, but he was starting to get on Harry's nerves. Everything he'd heard about the Weasley house sounded like heaven, a big loving family home. Harry would've given anything to experience that.