Before the second demon could finish regenerating the gash in it's chest, I used my two knives and hooked them under it's mask, flinging it off from below. I drove my knives into it's center eye, immediately ducking out of the way of a spear and spinning towards a new enemy.

As soon as I dealt with that one I threw a glance over my shoulder, seeing a maskless demon about to take a swing at an unprepared Cozbi. I threw the throwing knife in my left hand at it, but before I could even have the chance to see if it hit, I was hit from behind- a spear slicing through my cloak and cutting my left forearm slightly as I attempted to dodge the attack.

I stumbled forward and grunted, hoisting a second throwing knife from my belt, pivoting and placing the two blades together in the defence position Sonju had shown me long ago, against the jarring blow of the spearman's next attack.

In the moment I was caught underneath the weight of the spear, another demon approached dangerously. This time, Cozbi stepped forward and sliced through his head easily with her sword, then plunging her blade right through his head- mask, center eye, and all.

Before I could see her final blow, I leapt forward with sudden speed and strength, sending the unprepared spearman tumbling back. I gripped onto my saxe knife, and stepping forward further in a low crouch, spun around, slashed my knife against it's arm and chest then springing up, using my throwing knife to lever the mask off the demon in one consecutive movement. The demon continued falling backwards, hands flailing dangerously as it tried to keep from falling. I stepped forward with my right leg and threw the throwing knife with chilling accuracy, hitting the demon dead-center in it's skull.

I spun around, seeing no new demons approaching me. The rest of the bandits stood at the sideline, eyeing Cozbi and I nervously. I suppose they had no immediate desire to join their companions' dead bodies that littered the ground. I crouched down and yanked my throwing knife out of the demon's skull, placing it back into my belt.

"How you holding up?" Cozbi asked, approaching me from behind. As I turned to her, she held out the knife I threw earlier. I spoke while I grabbed it from her hand.

"I've been cut here and there, nothing too serious yet." Taking my chance while the bandits contemplated attack, I ripped the lower part of my cloak and tied it tightly around my forearm, where the spear had glanced across my skin from behind. It stanched the blood flow, but began to soak red. It would have to do, for now. "I've also taken out 6 so far. You?" I asked the demon girl.

"I've taken out 7." She grinned excitedly and i rolled my eyes. "I'm doing pretty good. I've lost an arm already, but it's grown back since." Cozbi chuckled a moment, then paused, blinking. "Wait, I just remembered that you can't regenerate limbs. Are you sure this is a good idea?"

I raised my eyebrows. "A good idea? No. But what else would you have me do?"

Cozbi hummed slowly, an idea forming behind her eyes. "Okay, hear me out. So, you know how these guys like ransoms, right?"

"Absolutely not." I quipped, wiping my bloodied knife off on my pants, for no reason other than because it felt wrong to leave it soaked in blood.

"But if we tell them-"

I spun to my demon companion, placing my hands on my hips. "And what if they decide a "public execution" sounds like fun instead?"

"That won't happen." Cozbi answered shortly.

"Who's to say?" I shook my head. "Considering their open rebellion against Mujika's rule, I don't think they like me much."

"Pretty sure those fellas like money more than they dislike you." Cozbi raised an eyebrow.

I pursed my lips. "It's not like Mujika has any money to spare. I told you this earlier."