Ospreypaw narrowed their eyes when their mentor affirmed their own thoughts. "That's it," they snarled and stomped into the water. Eelmask and Webheart both hissed for them to come back, but they hardly flicked an ear as they jumped into the river's depths.

     "Osprey!" Darkshadow called, his tone sharp with surprise. "Shit—don't go over there!"

     At their mentor's call, the NightClan patrol caught sight of Ospreypaw. One by one, they realized the apprentice was heading for them and one by one, they bristled defensively. Nyx and Rookshade swapped shocked looks. Gladepaw bristled until he was twice as large and stepped toward the water, but Osprey wasn't interested in him. They headed straight toward Ashenpeak, wading into the shallows until they stood whisker-to-whisker.

     "Get out of our river, fish-brain," they hissed at the dark grey molly.

     "Or what, kit?" Ashenpeak snorted loudly and shot a smug look at her Clanmates. "Are you gonna try to take me on?"

     "I'd love to be the one to knock you down a peg," Ospreypaw shot back, stretching to stand just as tall as her.

     Ashenpeak hesitated at Ospreypaw's certainty before snorting again. "Scram. You can't lay claim to an entire river." Behind her on the shore, Gladepaw nodded aggressively in agreement.

     "Maybe not," Ospreypaw said, "but you've been muddying the waters and making it hard for us to catch fish! It's more than enough reason to ban you from it."

     "Me?" Ashenpeak laughed loudly. "Me, specifically?"

    "Yes!" Ospreypaw exclaimed, amazed that she'd try to feign ignorance. "I saw you splashing around and yowling only a moon ago with her!" They raised a paw, jabbing it in Finchcall's direction. The brown-furred molly jumped at the accusation, then lowered her blue eyes guiltily.

     Ashenpeak glanced back at Finchcall and rolled her eyes. With a scowl, she said, "Oh, please. Some of you could stand to lose some weight, with how much fish you eat."

     "Ashen!" Nyx hissed. She stomped to the water's edge, her green eyes narrowed. "Are you trying to start fights? You're lucky to be a shade, and yet you behave like an apprentice seeing the water for the first time—for how long has this been going on?"

     "This is stupid!" Gladepaw chimed in, sticking his nose up to Nyx and Ospreypaw. "We have as much right to the river as they do. They even let BlazeClan come up to the river—father told me so!"

     Finchcall raised her head again when he spoke up. "That's enough, Gladepaw," she hissed sharply. She shot Rookshade a look, and the black-furred cat cleared his throat loudly and deliberately.

     "Y-Yes, mother," Gladepaw mumbled, returning to Rookshade's side immediately. He kept sending Ospreypaw harsh glares, though he remained silent.

     Everyone fell silent for a few moments. Neither Ashenpeak or Ospreypaw backed down until they noticed Nyx glowering at her daughter. Ashenpeak opened her mouth to make another remark before deciding against it and retreating from the water.

     "Okay," Nyx sighed loudly, letting her gaze sweep over all of the cats. "Ashenpeak, you're at my side until we return—I want this patrol to continue without any more problems. And you, apprentice, return to your own Clan. Don't let this happen again."

     Nyx hardly waited for a response before turning to lead her patrol off. They each filed after her; Gladepaw and Ashenpeak each acted as if they wanted to send Ospreypaw more dirty looks, but they stopped halfway through their motions and kept walking. Ospreypaw lifted their chin proudly and watched them leave before swimming back across the river.