Chapter 26. Birdhouse in your soul.

Start from the beginning

I smirk.

—Well, you weren't wrong. We'll be visiting the Black Tower.

—Hmmm? The prison? What business might our lady have there?

—It's... a mess, I'll tell you later in private —I said, looking back at Violet.

Thankfully she was distracted at that very moment, playing with Eve. Pondering a bit about it, I came to realized that I had not taken my time to have a conversation with Adrian for quite a while. That was troublesome.

—Understood. I'll be preparing everything for the journey.

—Wait! —I spouted—, before you go... have breakfast with us.

He looked surprised and refused at first, but I insisted. Getting into the house would be a problem for him, and the house in general, but he could get his head inside with no problem. His body would still be under the rain, but considering he had been standing on it for a few minutes, and that he spent most of his time in the river, that also shouldn't be a problem.

—Are you sure it is safe you can travel in such currents? —the doctor asked while we ate—, not only for us, but for you as well. I had to come aboard a huge and heavy tortoise.

—There is no current that I can't surpass —Adrian answered—, I was blessed by the goddess of rivers, Abzu.

—Then, we'll be in your care —I said—. But if you get tired, we can take as many rest as you need.

He agreed, and less than half an hour later we were departing. It really broke my heart to leave Violett behind, more because she didn't seem to mind that much. Perhaps I would have felt a bit less anxious if she had thrown a small tantrum. Nora insisted on coming along with us for our security, and Carmila seconded that motion, but with how severe the storm was at that moment, I somehow convinced them to stay at home. Not even bandits would dare to come out with such rain.

—Activate reinforce shielding —I said once the doctor and I were at the pier.

There was a flash of light all around the house, confirming that the spell had been activated. That was a modification I had made on our barrier, which increased its protection at least 50%. Of course, I had only wrote the "code", it was Neil who had actually transcribed it into the stone, just as he had "uploaded" the other spells I have written. We still haven't patented this one though, there were some kinks to fix. For once, it only worked for relatively short periods of time. The barrier's stone would overheat and break apart if it was left activated for more than two days, something that I only figured at the start of a very long and stressful weekend.

Everything was ready by the time we got to the pier, our usual transport should be sturdy enough to survive the currents, but Adrian had added some weights so that it wouldn't be dragged out of control. This would mean he would be pulling extra weight.

—Are you sure you'll be fine? —I asked him one last time.

—I'll make sure you reach your destination safely, my lady.

I was still worried, but there was nothing else I could say. I took a last look at our house, almost wanting to run back to hug my baby one more time, but I forced myself into the carriage. The voyage was, of course, more bumpy than usual, but all things considered, it wasn't that bad.

—So, about your research... —I said, wanting to keep my mind busy.

—Hmm, yes. As I said before, I still don't have the full picture, but I did find an account of a myth related to the curse. According to it, a long time ago, there was a war between two armies. The battlefield was near a temple built in honor to Lilith, your supposed mythological ancestor —Maxwell said, faking a gesture of reverence. I gave him a little kick.