"Last night meant nothing to you then? It was just sex?" I ask her hoping she would tell me wrong.

"We were two sexually frustrated people who took the opportunity to release the pent up frustration from our days in the woods with each other. Nothing more, nothing less." she confirms.

I have to look away from her for a second trying to contain the pain in my heart. I didn't want her to know the truth of how I felt. How her words felt like a knife to the chest. Last night with her was like nothing I have ever felt before. I thought I had finally gotten somewhere with her, that she was finally coming around to the idea that there was something between us, but for her it was nothing. She gave me her body to worship and like a thirsting man I had taken it and adored it with everything in me. And for her it was just so we could release some frustration together. Way to kick a man when he's down.

"Alright." I respond not saying anything else in the matter, I didn't dare to, or else I might end it up revealing things I don't want revealed. I reach for the backpack and retrieve a bottle of water and the two apples I manage to secure before hell came down on us. "Here, take this." I tell her giving her one of the apples and the bottle of water. She turns slightly towards me to see what I was giving her, taking it the moment she realised what it was and biting into it instantly. Moaning at the sweet flavour. "It's not much but it will keep you fed for a little while."

I take a bite of my own apple and we lay there in silence just finishing our meals.

"Do you have anything else in that backpack of yours that might be of use?" she asks looking at it curious.

I give her a short smile and pass her the blanket I had packed. This should help fighting off the cold, or at least make a good pillow. She takes it and immediately spreads it all over her body, but then she surprises me by opening up a side, my side, and giving me then motion to tuck in. She was sharing the blanket with me. How sweet. Ignoring the hurt in my heart I do as she says and cuddle into her so the blanket could cover us both.

"You should sleep for a little while." I advise her "My pack will still take a few more hours getting here and we don't know when we will have another chance to rest."

"I want to go to the bunker." she says suddenly

"What? Why? The place is full of hunters. It's much too dangerous and an unnecessary risk." I scold her for thinking of such a dangerous thing.

"I want to know if what I heard is true." she tells me looking at me with a determined look in her eyes. Gone was the vulnerable woman who had cried in my arms, now I can only she a warrior determined to get what she wanted. I was glad to see that spark in her eyes was back. "I want to know if my father had my brother killed. I deserve to know the truth. All my life, Ollie was the only person who cared about me, who LOVED me. I was not the kind of woman my mother wanted me to be and I was not a son to my father. But my brother...he saw me. He took care of me and made sure I knew I was loved, that I was wanted. And when he died, I threw myself into the hunters so that I could hunt the monsters who took him from me and make them pay. And now I learn that, that might have been a lie all this time, and that I was working with his killers on a daily basis. So I need to know. I need it."

"Why do you think you will find the answers you are looking for in the bunker?" I ask her wanting to know her thinking process.

"I think that the bunker has computers I can access to hack into the hunter's data base and see if I can find anything that might be related to his death. Father never let me see the unredacted file, but I know there is a place in the data base where they keep all the high level confidential reports that only a few have clearance to see." she explains getting worked up about her plan.

"And you think you can hack it?" I ask her not even knowing she had that particular skill.

"I know I can." she assures me "At base it would have been impossible because of the security measures my father installed in these last two years, but this bunker is off the grid so it doesn't have that same level of security. I can hack it Julius, I know I can."

"Alright, I believe you." I tell her seeing how passionate she was about this. "But there is just one problem."

"And what's that?" she asks

"We don't know where the bunker is." I remind her.

She deflates in her spot disappointed by that lack of information. And me being the idiot wolf that I am, just can't bear to see her sad and will always do everything in my power to keep her happy. Even if it might lead her to mortal danger.

"Luckily for you, I can find out." I tell her, making her stare at me with hope flickering in her eyes, and wasn't that just the kicker in the heart?

"You can?" she asks intrigued "How?"

"Well darling, we wolves are quite known from our strong sense of smell." I remind her teasingly "I can track down prey for miles, I'm sure it won't be that hard to follow the scent of one or two hunters into their secret base."

"God, I forgot about that." she says with a smile on her lips "Then we can track them, we should go now!"

"Not so fast, goldilocks." I ease her not wanting her to jump the gun. "You heard their leader, he sent half his team into the bunker last night and the other is looking for us. There is no way we are going to sneak into their base in this condition."

"So what should we do?"

"It's quite simple, isn't it?" I tell her coming up with the perfect plan "We'll just have to lead them right towards us."

This is it for this chapter!A little shorter than the last one, but it was necessary to introduce the action. Poor Julius he had his heart crushed probably for the first time ever, and by his mate no less. Poor Julius... But anyway, Julius and Hayley are coming up with a very dangerous plan to sneak into the hunter's secret bunker so Hayley can finally find out the truth about her brother's death.

Who knows what she will find?

Keep reading, and don't forget!

VOTE ⭐

COMMENT ✍️

SHARE 💌