𝟎𝟏 | 𝐈𝐤𝐡𝐥𝐚𝐚𝐬

Start from the beginning

She tapped her foot several times, feeling anxious. She was having a bad feeling about all this. If only she knew the storm that was coming towards her.

A few moment later, Sherbano called her daughter from downstairs and Maheen anxiously wrapped a duppatta around her head and descended the stairs, like a normal person would. She was guided to the living room by her elder sister - Marwa who was a married woman and loved her younger sister a lot. Despite having an elder sister, Maheen also has a younger brother with whom she has a very special bond. Even if Maahir was younger than her he was very protective when it comes to his elder sister.

Maheen sat on the sofa and was welcomed by an elder woman around the age of fifties. She supposed it was her soon to be mother-in-law. The woman kissed her forehead and blessed her lovingly. From the voices she would hear, Maheen knew her phuppo and her daughter were also here. And it was not a good thing at all. The both women were like snakes in Maheen's life.

"So, beta, what's your graduation ?"
Asked the grey haired woman.

"I did masters Aunty." She said politely.

"Ammi she is not that pretty..." She heard a very faint feminin voice from not so far, she supposed it was her soon to be sister-in-law and her words were pretty much rude.

"Don't talk when the elders are having a conversation." Her soon to be mother-in-law murmured quietly.

They talked for a while and the moment came when everything was about to be finalised. "I guess, you already know that Maheen is blind. She can't see anything. Not even you or your handsome son." Her cousin - Irfaa interrupted at the end, talking in her sugar coated voice. She was acting nice but really wasn't in reality.

Maheen thought they already knew so she didn't have any problem if Irfaa spoke in between. But much to her surprise, they didn't. "What ? Are you for real? Mama apne mere liye andi larki chuni hai? Kiya apko puri duniya me yehi mili thi? Aur iski chakal dekhi hai apne? Koi jannat ki hoor nahi hai jo mai isse shaadi karon ga." The man exclaimed, not knowing how much his words shattered Maheen pure heart.
[Did you choose a blind girl for me? You only found her in the entire world? Did you see her face? She is not a fairy from paradise that I will marry her.]

A lone tear left her eyes but she wiped it off immediately. "Muhje nahi pata tha beta. Warna mein khabi bi tumahere liye is andi larki ko chunti. Mera shezadon jessa beta hai iss batsurat or mazoor larki se me tumhari kabi bhi na shaadi karun." Her words were like venom spit from a snake tongue. [I didn't know son. Otherwise I would've have choose this blind girl for you. I have a prince of son, I won't marry him with a disabled and ugly girl.]

"Stop. Don't you dare talk about my sister like that!" Maahir raised his voice, he was controlling himself from doing anything wrong as they were still his guests, his parents had thought him some rules and discipline, he knew better than to disrespect elder and guests. But then, no one has the right to talk to his sister like that.

"Kiran bhaji, apki beti ki shaadi abhi nahi hui na? Ap apni hoor jessi beti ka hanth meri bete ke hanth me dete." The woman was now turned towards Maheen phupo and her daughter. Kiran smirked and Irfaa hid her smile. This handsome man didn't deserve that whore. She thought satisfied of herself.
[Kiran sister, your daughter isn't married yet? Will you give your beautiful daughter hand for my son?]