Chapter 1

"Again, Gaara!" Baki ordered the panting ninja.

Brows narrowing in determination, the teen formed the hand signs before manipulating the sand around him. It still was not nearly as powerful from when Shukaku harbored inside him. Yet there was some progress from where the teen started. Off to the side of the training grounds sat his Soldier, who was on break from her own training session.

The sun was hot, bearing down on them and making sweat drip from their skin. She could see him struggling to focus, clearly exhausted from chakra depletion. Ever since the extraction by the Akasuki, the Kazekage was trying to build back up his lost strength.

"Enough," the sensei ordered.

Gaara looked ready to collapse where he stood. Despite the fact that the leader wished to continue pushing himself.

"Azmaria, get back over here."

The paralysis had messed up her joint movement, some attacks a few seconds slower. Losing that kind of reaction time could mean a lot between life and death when in the field.

"I just killed you again," the man stated. Holding a kunai to her in a threatening manner.

"I'm not done yet," she declared. The teen twirled on the ball of a foot, sword coming in from the side.

It forced Baki to jump back to avoid being hit. "No, you never are."

Everyday this went on. No matter how hot it grew. Kankuro joined them on occasion when not in physical therapy. Thanks to the poison that once plagued his body from Sasori, sometimes his muscles flared up. Either by locking up or producing a tic, which thankfully didn't last too long. Still, it was all hard work for them. To reach the same standard as ninjas before the attack on Suna.

Sighing in relief after a wonderful shower, Azmaria stepped from the bathroom in a lose tanktop and pants. Stretching the once tense muscle felt relaxing, giving her a breather from what went on outside the walls of the place she called home for seven years. Where the two best Sand Ninja teams in Suna could unwind and be themselves. Everyone was lounging around after a long day of missions and work. Only one person was missing.

"Temari, where's Master Gaara?" the Solder wondered.

"I saw him heading towards the backyard," she answered. Not glancing up from the book in hand.

He was training as usual after being with Baki for hours where no one would bother him. He had to get better, stronger. Sitting around was not an option to him, even though the order came from their sensei to do so. Gaara kept pushing his limits.

"You're going to drain yourself if you keep this up."

The Kazekage stumbled in mild surprise at not hearing her approach. She leaned against the wooden frame of the porch upholding the roof, smiling.

"Then you won't be able to perform in training," the teen pointed out.

"I have to get stronger," Gaara stated, "which is why I can't stop. Besides... if Naruto can do this, so can I."

"But you're not Naruto. The two of you are very different people. Training days on end with little to no rest is his method. And maybe that works, but it's not healthy. You need your own training method. Though it is good to have someone to look at for inspiration."

Gaara fell back into position, readying to form another jutsu to practice the movements. Hands grabbed at each forearm from behind, the teen looking back at the Soldier from the corner of his eye.