Chapter 25: Khartier

Start from the beginning

Merchants and influential nobles of all classes have been invited to attend the grand opening of Khartier. Re-examining the beautifully embellished invitations delivered to them by carrier pigeons a week ago, they were all deeply confused once they saw the store.

Surely, with Master Pierrot's fine and elegant taste, his store would also look just as refined as his works.

But they were disappointed to see this was not so.

Though no one had seen his face, many jewelers all over the Empire have proclaimed Master Pierrot to be the leading designer of the next generation.

He seemed to have appeared out of nowhere. Those with connections tried their best to investigate his identity, but they couldn't find a single thing about the man. It was like he didn't exist until three months ago.

Three months ago, exactly from today, Master Pierrot released his masterpieces into the market and all were quickly sold within the span of a few weeks.

His designs were revolutionary and ahead of his time. No one had seen such splendid contemporary designs in years. Nobles who influenced the fashion circle were interested in making contact, while merchants desired contracts and partnerships.

No one was surprised to see Pierrot open his shop within such a short span of time. Everyone wanted a piece of him, fully aware of his potential.

The clock tower at the center of the city rang its bells. The sound echoed through the streets.

At exactly noon, Khartier opened its doors to the public.

---

Royce slipped between the large crowd and tugged his flat cap further down to obscure his face.

His shop was minimalistic and chic.

It did not look like a bookstore.

Regardless, at least the invitees stayed.

He had a hundred invitations for the opening ceremony delivered to the most important people in the Empire sans the Royal Family. He noticed some people brought a partner with them, but just this once, he'd let it slide.

There were always hidden potentials and sponsors for these occasions. Royce should know.

During his early apprenticeship days, his mentor built his charisma by dragging him to all types of galas and ceremonies. If he was able to get three sponsors and ten people interested in his work, she would allow him to go home to see his family for three days.

If he didn't make the quota, he would be on customized ring-making duty for three weeks.

He was a literal hostage, yet he still paid her to teach him for five years straight because she was the best of the best.

The thought of his teacher's demonic face as she dragged him through his apprenticeship like the fires of hell were biting at their ankles made him give an involuntary shudder.

Bong! Bong! Bong!

The clock tower signaled that it was noon just as Royce unlocked the door and opened it wide.

---

The people at the door stepped into the store cautiously, their whispers becoming louder and filled with surprise as they looked around.

Among them, Neo tried not to make a face as he stared at the interior.

He felt like he had been transported back to the Modern World. Just slap on some metal walls, glass panels, and change the scent to antiseptic and hand sanitizer, and he would have thought this was also his lab facility.