Episode 11: Into the Fire part 3

Start from the beginning

Sam flipped the knife, caught it by the blade, and held it out to her. "Your turn."

A brief flash of horror crossed Amy's face, and Sam instinctively tensed. But she took the knife and, with a wince, pulled the edge across the back of her hand, drawing blood. She stood stock still for a moment, staring at the cut as if she was surprised at how it had gotten there, before handing the knife to Dean.

"Can I...you know. I don't know for...for certain that the knife really is silver," she said.

"You have something silver on you?" Dean asked. "Something you'd trust for sure?"

Amy looked down at her left hand, then pulled off her plain wedding band and pressed it into Dean's palm. He let her hold it against his skin for a few seconds. Then Amy eased back, some of the tension draining from her face. Sam held out his hand, and she did the same to him, pressing the tiny metal circle into the fleshy part of his palm. Amy sighed and replaced the ring on her finger.

"Okay, now what?" she asked.

"Stick with us. Let's go find the others," Dean said. "Bring the shotgun with you so the shifter doesn't snag it, but remember, salt rounds aren't going to do you any good here."

"So what should I do if he comes after me?"

Dean smiled. "Hope I'm still standing."

"And if you're not?"

"Whack him over the head with it," Sam said.

The corner of Amy's lips twitched into a smile. "The shifter or Dean?"

"Either one works," Sam said.

"Hey now," Dean grumbled, swatting at Sam's arm.

As the moved into the library again, Sam cupped his hands around his mouth and shouted, "John! Sherlock!" After a few seconds, he added, "Doctor! Any of you there?"

John and Sherlock came around the corner. Both groups stopped about ten feet away from each other. Sam noticed that John brought his weapon halfway up, not quite pointing it at them, but not ready to welcome them with a hug either.

Dean held up his knife. "Silver. Prove you're not shifters."

"You first," Sherlock replied.

Dean rolled his eyes. "Sure." He pushed the sleeve of his shirt higher and started to make another cut on his arm.

"Here." John tossed him a bullet.

Dean caught it one-handed, then smiled, holding the bullet up between his thumb and forefinger. "These the ones I gave you?" He passed it to Sam.

Sam held his hand open so they could see the bullet wasn't burning him, then handed it to Amy. She let it roll around on her palm before giving it back to John, who visibly relaxed with a sigh. Dean handed Sherlock the knife, and he and John made small cuts on their arms to prove they weren't shifters.

"Have you even seen him since he escaped?" Sherlock asked.

"I did," Amy said. "He'd stolen Sam's likeness, at least for that moment."

Sherlock nodded. "I knew he must have changed at some point. We found some flesh-colored substance a few aisles back that way." He pointed past Sam. "I assumed it was part of the shifter's changing process."

Dean grimaced. "Lovely. Hope you guys have some heavy-duty cleaners around here, Amy. That stuff is disgusting."

"Any sign of the Doctor?" Sam asked.

"I saw him when we first started chasing the shifter, but not since," John said. "And...well, here's a question. We're so concerned about the shifter, but shouldn't we be worried about the Vashta Nerada possessing someone? Or slipping out of the shifter and hiding in the books?"