第3章 - First Day

Start from the beginning

"New transfer student incoming! Let's get this party started!" He shouted enthusiastically only to be greeted by silence and bored looks from his students. Satoru sighed at the lack of response. If Hiyori was here, she would've at least clapped. It was too bad she was still away on her mission.

"Well, whatever." Satoru sighed over the lackluster response from his students. He turned to the classroom door.

"You can come on in!" He shouted, a lot louder than what was actually necessary. The first-years turned expectantly to look at the door in wait for their new classmate's entrance.

Yuta, who was standing on the other side of the door, took a couple of deep breaths and hesitantly reached to slide the classroom door open. He really hoped his new classmates would like or at least tolerate him.

He would be lying if he said he wasn't most nervous to meet that girl who left him a voice message – the message that convinced him to give this whole school thing a try to begin with. She seemed nice so maybe he would have at least one friend but that voice in the back of his head, created by his own lack of self-esteem and the toll years of bullying took on him, whispered that she would dislike him the moment she actually met him. She would think he was weird and a freak just like all of his former classmates. If she didn't then Rika would make sure that the girl stayed away no matter how hard Yuta tried to stop the cursed spirit.

'The atmosphere feels really chilly...I hope we'll be able to get along..' He slowly walked in. The knot of nerves and anxiety in the pits of his stomach only worsened when all of his new classmates immediately jumped up from their seats.

He jumped slightly, dark blue eyes going from one classmate to another. There were three of them: a boy with platinum-blond hair and strange markings around his mouth, a panda (?), and a dark-haired girl. Yuta's eyes widened slightly when his eyes landed on the dark-haired girl who he could only assume was the nice girl that had left him a voice message. Maybe it was just him but she seemed to be giving him a cold look. Now that he thought about it, all of them seemed to be.

'Maybe this is just their way of greeting me...?'

"I'm Okkotsu Yuta. Nice to meet you" He said nervously in greeting, tugging at his bracelet to quell his nerves. Yuta had expected maybe a scoff or annoyance but what he didn't expect from his classmates was a naginata aimed at him. The blade barely missed his head. It dug into the blackboard behind him. All three of his new classmates were ready in fighting stances. Yuta gulped nervously, fear coursing through his veins, as he eyed the blade of the naginata that had missed him by a mere centimeter.

"Hey, don't you know you're cursed?" Maki asked, not moving her blade. Yuta trembled slightly at how hostile her tone was.

She was definitely not the girl who left the voice message.

Her voice was different from the kind voice he heard that reminded him of honey — sweet and easy on the ears. It wasn't the one that he played over and over in his head to lull himself to sleep. The one that he had been completely captivated by. He hadn't even known that it was possible to be captivated by someone's voice until he heard hers.

The girl before him had a deeper voice and it was harsh, nowhere near as friendly as the one he had heard, so there was no way it was her. In fact, this girl kind of scared him – scratch that – he thought she was terrifying. But if she wasn't the girl who left the voice message then where was she? Yuta definitely remembered hearing her say that she was a first-year at Jujutsu Tech in her voice message but she wasn't here. Had she lied to him?

"Hey, I'm asking you a question here" Maki barked. Yuta shrank against the blackboard, making himself feel smaller than he was.

"U-Uh" He stuttered out only for Maki to scoff. Yuta tugged harshly at his bracelet. His first day at school had just started and it was already horrible. The person he had looked forward to meeting was nowhere in sight either. Maybe he made the wrong choice.