Chapter 3-The Welcome Party

"Coincidences mean you're on the right path."

Simon Van Booy, Love Begins in Winter: Five Stories

Desiree's POV

When I entered the house, my jaw almost dropped in awe at its interior design. I felt like I had just jumped into another time. The large crystal chandeliers in the spacious living room and antique furniture were huge. Just below the stairs was a large, colorful Christmas tree. My eyes followed the tall stairs up to the second floor of the house. The portraits on the wall were even taller than me.

"Randall, you're here. Where's your cousin Edrick?" asked the approaching beautiful woman whom I think was in her late forties.

"I don't know, Mom. He's just around, for sure. Desiree, meet the best mom in the world. My Mom. Mom, she's Desiree." Randall introduced us.

"It's nice to meet you, Ma'am." I greeted her. I presented my right hand but instead of reaching for my it, she grabbed both of my shoulders and enclosed me in a warm hug.

"It's nice to meet you, Hija. Call me Aunt Suzanne." she smiled. "And don't listen to Randall. He always pulls my leg."

"He's telling the truth, Aunt Suzanne."I laughed at Randall's mom.

"Oh, he's also very infectious. And now you were infected. You might like to eat. Randall, take Desiree to the buffet table. I will take care of these arriving guests and I will look for your cousin, too," Aunt Suzanne said before turning away.

I got so curious about the cousin whom he had been calling Kuya Edrick, so I asked who he was.

"Kuya Edrick is my cousin. He's the reason for this welcome party. He stayed in America for quite a while to take care of the family business there and also to take a Master's Degree in Business Administration at Harvard University. He is also the future CEO of Andrada&Sons," Randall explained.

"Wow! Your cousin is an awesome person." I exclaimed overwhelmed by his cousin's almost perfect background. He must be really smart and intelligent. And he even graduated from one of the famous and prestigious universities in America.

"Yes. He's really smart. Come on, let's have a drink. What do you want?" Randall grabbed my hand and pulled me slightly toward the dining area. We approached the buffet table where several people were taking food.

"Or maybe you want to eat?"

"No, no, let's just drink first. Let's eat later," I said quickly. We just arrived and it was a shame if I face the food immediately. And I'm not too hungry yet. I first want to look around.

"So, what do you want? Water, juice, soft drinks or wine?"

"Juice, please. Thank you."

He immediately gave me a glass of juice.

"Thanks," I said upon reaching it.

"Rand." I heard someone call Randall.

"Arnie. Hello?" Randall grinned at the cute guy of his age who's walking toward us.

"Great to see you again. You've not been around for a while," the guy called Arnie said.

"Yes, yes. You know ... busy." Randall shrugged. Then he introduced me to him.

"Whoa, Rand! When it comes to girls, you're different. You always get the best ones," The guy Arnie exclaimed smiling from ear to ear.

Randall's cheeks turned red as ripe apples. He looked embarrassed. I couldn't blame him. It was really a bit embarrassing. I felt a little bit awkward, too. So, I pretended to ignore them and made myself busy looking around.