第1章 - Meeting You

Start from the beginning

Maybe if he stared long enough then he would be able to see it.

"No matter the time, place, or circumstance, these two people will meet. The string can be stretched, twisted, knotted, and even tangled but it can never be broken. That is the red string of fate - a string that connects you to your soulmate"

"Does that mean otousan is your soulmate?" Yuta's mother chuckled at her daughter's question.

"That's right"

"I don't get it. What's so good about a soulmate?" Yuta asked his mother who only smiled dreamily. She had a faraway look in her eyes.

"Well, a soulmate is like that missing puzzle that connects to yours. Someone who will wholeheartedly accept you for who you are and love you no matter what. They're the most important person in your life that you'll ever meet. Someone who will willingly go through hell with you and stay with you forever and ever. Being with them is the best feeling in the world. The whole world becomes brighter and more colorful when you're with them" Yuta listened to his mother's words in awe. That sounded too good to be true.

Was there really someone like that in this world waiting for him?

"Even better than eating candy?" Yuta's sister asked. His mother nodded her head.

"That's right, even better than eating candy. An infinite times better. Being with them will make you feel whole. They'll make you feel happy and make you realize your best self"

"How do you know you've met them then? What if you meet them and you don't realize it?" Yuta asked worriedly. His mother's lips curved up in a smile like she knew something he didn't.

"Oh, you'll know." She responded. Yuta frowned. What did she mean he would know? That didn't make any sense. He felt his mother pat his head.

"I'm sure you'll meet your soulmate soon, Yuta. When the time comes, you'll know they're the one."

"Do you mind if I sit here or is this swing occupied?" Hiyori asked with a small smile. She didn't talk to someone her age often so she didn't really know how to go about it.

Yuta's cheeks heated up. There was this weird feeling in his chest and he didn't know why. His heart was beating faster than usual to the point where he swore he could hear it. He'd never seen someone so beautiful before. She looked like one of those princesses in the picture books his sister read. His dark ocean-blue eyes stared at her in awe.

"U-Uh..um..it—it's not occupied" Yuta stuttered out. His mother had told him to go play at the park instead of staying at home but he didn't have any friends to play with so he just sat sadly at one of the swings. It wasn't like he didn't want friends. He couldn't seem to make any no matter how hard he tried. He was too timid to talk to people so he ended up being called weird because of it. It wasn't exactly like people often approached him to talk either.

"Oh, that's good to hear!" His blush darkened at the dazzling smile that spread across Hiyori's face. Maybe it was just his imagination but everything seemed so much more brighter and colorful all of a sudden.

Had the sky always been this blue?

Yuta wondered if she was some magical being sent from the heavens. He watched her sit down on the swing next to his. He didn't know why but he didn't feel sad anymore.

Not even a little bit.

"Are you okay? You looked kind of sad?" She asked. Yuta stiffened slightly like he had been caught sneaking a cookie out of the cookie jar.