Part 45

The next day, I made my way above deck with Genya at my side. The sun was high in the sky. People were working on the sails and cleaning the deck. I look around for Nina and Matthias, but they must still be below deck.

“How are you feeling?” she asked.

“Better,” I said. I wanted to say more, tell her that something feels weird inside, but that would be too much. Too much explaining and too much information for a stranger.

Would I even classify her as a stranger? There's something I should remember about her, but I can’t place it. Maybe it’s the scars. The person she reminded me of was younger, not yet touched by the scars of war.

“What are you thinking?” Genya asks. Looking over at her in confusion, she quickly continues. “You're going to get wrinkles from the amount of worry lines on your forehead.”

At least she couldn’t read my mind. Yet, maybe she would know if we’ve ever met before. She would have to know.

“Have you ever been to Fjerda?” I asked her.

Genya looks down. Her one eye was lost in some memory. She didn’t have to answer the question. Just from her reaction, I knew Genya had been to Fjerda.

“I wouldn’t expect you to remember,” she finally spoke. “It was a long time ago and you weren’t prepared.”

What a very cryptic response, I thought.

“What are you saying?” I ask, trying to comprehend everything.

“I believe it was your first ‘mission’. At least that’s what the boy said. He didn’t like you very much.”

Alev.

“You were one of the Grisha?” I whisper.

“The Darkling sent me on a quick mission. He was supposed to wait for me, but instead, I got caught. Thanks to your group of secrets, I was able to get back.”

I knew I recognized her from somewhere. She was the first person I talked to about what Ravka was like. She helped heal a scar on my leg I got from falling out of a tree when I was younger. A show of faith, proving that Grisha aren’t evil.

"Nox," someone says behind me.

I turn to see a man walking towards me and Genya. He has red hair, taller than Genya and I, and as he stopped in front of me, his eyes were a muddy green.

"This is Sturmhond," Genya says. "He's the captain."

Strumhond holds his hand out for me to shake. I ignore it. Not to be rude, but I don't like shaking people's hands. Not going to pretend that I do.

"You gave everyone a fright the other day," he comments.

"Thank you for letting me on your ship," I say, awkwardly.

"Of course. Think nothing of it. More the merrier."

I look back out to the sea, not knowing how else to keep the conversation rolling. My mind is still preoccupied with the prior conversation with Genya.

"Do you know where we will dock?" I question.

"Os Kervo," Sturmhond answers.

The place I'm supposed to meet Alev. 

Am I really dead and dreaming? That would make a lot of sense. The whole ice and tree was just the in-between. This is actually death. Doing things that I should’ve gotten to do. Meeting people I’ve actually saved.

"How long will that take us?" I ask.

"A couple more days at most."

I can wait a couple more days. That's nothing bad.

"Nox," Sturmhond's voice completely changed. I look over at him. He looks at me with caution and sadness. "I’ve heard rumors of your time in the Ice Court."

Definitely not dead. Never would this happen if I was dead. Never.

"Nothing happened," I laughed.

"The King would like to extend an invitation for you to stay at the palace until you are ready to do whatever it is you're going to do."

This can't be happening right now. Who is this guy to extend an invitation in the position of the King? I get revived and now I'm getting invited to live in a palace? Absolutely not. I know where this goes, I'm not falling for this.

"As much as I appreciate everything that you've done for me," I start. "I can't."

"It's the least we can do since you helped get us Kuwei," he states.

"No, I have other important matters to settle."

"At least wait until you meet the King," he comments.

"I really should attend to these matters first."

"Then we shall help you."

This man will not give up. I shake my head. I'm not going to any palace. I'm not meeting another King. I'm going to find Alev, figure out what he would like to do, and, if possible, I'm on my way to the Wandering Isle. I'm getting as far from Fjerda and Ketterdam as I can.

"Consider it a gift," Sturmhond says, giving me a wink before walking off.

I stare at the back of his head in shock. What happened while I was dead?