Part forty-one: what's that floating thing in the air?

Start from the beginning

Now, now, now, obviously Earth wasn't born yesterday and how they already established: Mix was a horrible lier. So, there was definitely something in those bags and they looked pretty much packed to the fullest.

Earth truly hoped that most of the things in those bags were wedding presents for Mix's sister, but Earth also wasn't that naive. Some of those things ought to be Christmas presents and some of those Christmas presents were definitely for Earth, which was, of course, nice but it also put Earth into a complicated situation.

How was Earth supposed to give something to Mix, if he couldn't go to buy anything? And even if he could, with whose money? "Huh," he chuckled. It will be interesting to look for a job after he comes back to life. Could he be a journalist again? If he were honest, he missed his job. He missed writing.

But that was not the problem now. What to give Mix for Christmas was a way more pressing matter. In fact, it was already the 22nd of December. Earth had only two days to come up with something. Does anyone have a suggestion?

Maybe...

Earth was so unusually deep in thoughts that he didn't even hear Mix approaching him until Mix's hands wrapped around him from the back, squeezing him tightly in a bone-crushing hug.

Earth softly laughed, "aren't you a strong boy. I almost feel my bones rearranging themself."

Mix hmmed and hugged Earth even tighter if that was even possible, "I just had this extremely strong urge to hug you."

Earth somehow wiggled his way out of Mix's strong arms just to turn around a hug him again. "Now you know how I feel every single day."

Mix rolled his eyes, "Yeah, sure."

"It's true, I swear."

Mix looked up at Earth, his eyes filled with admiration and adoration, "I love you so much."

Earth leaned in, pressed their foreheads together and stroked Mix's cheek. "I love you too," he whispered and connected their lips in a slow, gentle kiss.

Disconnecting their lips Earth smiled and took Mix's hand, "now let's go Christmas tree hunting, shall we?"

"Let's go," Mix said excitedly and started dragging Earth down the stairs.

"Wouuu wouu, slow down, angel. We have time," Earth said, holding Mix's hands firmly.

"Uhmm, which way?"

"There," Earth pointed at the narrow path leading deep into the forest.

Mix looked in that direction, strangely he never walked that path before. He wondered where would the path lead them. Obviously not really far away because of Earth. Wait... "Where are we going, again?"

"I thought you'll never ask," Earth said as they started their journey down the unexplored path. "We are going to visit sheriff Anderson. You remember her — she was here when they needed your help with the doe."

"Oh yeah, I remember. She was really nice. Does she live nearby?"

Earth shook his head, "she lives in the town, but she has a cabin here. Every year around this time she is selling Christmas trees for people around here."

"And what should I tell her when we got there? I assume she can't see you. So how should I explain I know about her doing that selling thing?"

"Easy, you'll say you've read it in your grandma's diary. But please at least try to make it look like you are not lying," Earth chuckled.

"Hey!" Mix pouted and hit Earth's back.

"Ouch, first he hugs me, now he hits me. That's not nice, Mix." Earth said playfully.

"Stop teasing me, then. Besides, you know I would never hit you for real," Mix said.

"I know, I know," Earth said, his eyes suddenly sparked with an idea. "Do you wanna piggyback ride?"

"Really?" Mix's eyes got wide with excitement, "I can?"

"Of course, you can," Earth turned with his back towards Mix, "hop."

"Okay, but you can't take it back."

"Why would I? Come on, hop."

Mix giggled and jumped on Earth's back, wrapping his arms around Earth, holding tight. "This is nice. I like the view from up here."

"Glad you like my service Mr Wongratch. Now hold on tight, we have at least another twenty minutes walk in front of us."

"Let me know when you get tired."

"I won't so make yourself comfortable," Earth said, giving a light squeeze to the back of Mix's thighs where he was holding him.

"Wait...wait, wait, wait," Mix said as if he suddenly realized something mindblowing.

"What...what, what, what?"

"If someone by chance sees us now, they will actually see only me floating in the air?"

"Oh yeah, a new urban legend will be born. An unknown person was seen floating in the air in the Canadian wilderness. The person was seen shortly before Christmas 2021 and never again. Who was that person? Is that person still out there? Maybe when you woke up on Christmas morning that person will be floating under your Christmas tree. Better check your door before you go to sleep." Earth's voice sounded like a podcaster telling scary Christmas stories.

Mix was quietly laughing, his head bored in Earth's neck, "okay, stop talking and focus on walking."

"Your wish is my command," Earth said and even more soft laughing was echoing through the peaceful winter forest.

To be continued...

P.S. I want Christmas NOW! 🥺😤