Chapter Five

Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

- Unknown

*Unedited*

_______________________________________

   Zarah picked out a pair of black sandals from under her bed and  yelled across to her mom who was washing clothes outside.

"Mummy! I'm going to Precious house oh!"

She had changed into casual clothing - A pink shirt with the inscription "I love NY" and blue faded jeans.

  "Okay, but don't stay long. When it's six start coming to your house, they have started kidnapping people in this area"

Zarah chuckled before replying. She didn't see any reason why anyone would want to kidnap her, she felt her mom was only being paranoid.

"Okay" She then reduced her voice to a whisper, her eyes twinkling with mischief "I'll try to"

Fastening the straps of her sandals, she stood up and used her both hands to straighten out imaginary creases and wrinkles from her jeans.

She used a small piece of broken  mirror lying on the table to check her reflection. Deciding she was good to go, she smoothened her hair with her hands and strode out of the room.

She hummed Faded by Alan Walker as she walled to her beat friend's house. Her hands were shoved casually into the pocket of her jeans and her head bobbed gently to the tune. She didn't know when she started singing out the lyrics of the song.

Where are you now?
Atlantis
Under the sea
Under the sea....
Where are you now?
Another dream
The monster's running wild inside of me
I'm faded....

"Zarah" Someone called softly.

She stopped dead in her tracks, frowning slightly. She turned around but didn't see anyone.

Confused, she continued walking but this time self consciously and cautiously. She racked her brain trying to figure out if she had heard the voice before but it was of no use because it only ended up making her more confused.

"Zarah" The voice sounded much closer.

She paused and spun on her heel quickly. A boy that looked around seventeen or eighteen stood grinning at her.

She breathed a sigh of relief, she had begun to think it was a kidnapper.

He was wearing a pure white undershirt over stone washed jeans and his shirt was draped over one shoulder. Zarah thought he had beautiful eyes, in the reflected sunlight it looked incredibly light brown. His eyes were lit with something she couldn't quite place and the thought unsettled her.

She furrowed her brows wondering how he knew her name because she was quite sure she had never seen him before.

"Hey" He was the first to speak and he sounded friendly.

"Um... Hey!" She replied warily.

"Em... D**n you're so gorgeous, you mande me forger what my pick up line was"

Zarah threw her head back in laughter suddenly feeling at ease "Thank you...?"

"You know, Isaac Newton once said a body would remain in it's state of rest or uniform motion on a straight line unless acted upon by an external force, this was my heart before it found you"

She smiled feeling flattered "Okay... Now I don't know what to say"

She started walking slowly on the pavement and he followed her at the same pace.