chapter 9

Chapter 9

Ten years ago

Rupert had landed in America alone.He hadn't even know which way to turn he didn't know where to go or where to look.

He had very little in the way of money and nothing in the way of worldly possessions.

America was the busiest place he had ever seen. For a minute his eyes hadn't adjusted. He had grown in a huge estate in the country. It had been quite there. Half the year lord Sinclair had not been in residence.

But here every one was in a hurry. Everyone was becoming some one. Every one was following their dreams. Everyone had a place to go. A place to be. Fulfilling their dreams.

And now Rupert had a dream too.
Each of them had decided to start a new life just like he had. They had come into this land with an uncertain future. But with the intension of making their own futures.

Now he was one of them. America would be his ally. He had no one else. But this harsh land where he didn't know anyone will be his place in the world. He will make this his place.
It will help him get his revenge against Westley.

His got his first job was washing dishes at a tavern near the docks frequented by sailors. He learnt a lot of things there. Some good some bad but they were all useful.

He knew which jobs paid the most which were the most risky. He just had to keep his eyes and ears open. He observed which men had most money for the whores this was always known by the amount of time spent upstairs. More money ment more time.

The birds of the night flocked around each such men when they came in. Their assets on full display wearing clothes that did more to display than cover. These men had a reputation of being generous with the ladies. Cat fights broke regularly over johns getting stolen.

Even he got his time with ladies; although they could hardly be called ladies. In England they wouldn't been seen anywhere near a lady. And an english lady would be scandalized seeing any of them.

But these were the only women seen in the docks. No other ladies sat foot in area unless they were leaving or coming to America.

The first experience was an embrassment for him and an amusement for the lady. Defineitely something he would rather forget.

It was one of the ladies at the tavern he worked. Charlotte was not even twenty one. But she looked older. And she painted herself and it made her look even more older than she looked.

After seeing Roberts inexperience and being amused by it she and the rest of the ladies had taken it upon themselves to teach Robert. And he had to pay for some lessons but by the time he left they it was a mutual thing.

He knew everything there was about pleasing a women. The ladies at the tavern were not shy by any means. They didn't mind describing what he was required to do and at what speed.

He found out that some of them liked the work and some did it just to earn money.

Next job was at the dock yard it self. This one paid the best because it was the riskiest but it was even harder work; he worked at loading cargo on to ships. It was a dangerous job but he survived. A lot of people got maimed or killed on the job. But he knew if he was to save anything them he needed this job.

It seemed to be generally agreed that dying was better than getting maimed as the latter had no choice but to beg on the streets from strangers.

He tried to save every penny. But it was slow goings. He doubted he could save anything substantial for a long time. But he saved every spare cent. He knew each cent counted.