chapter 5

Chapter 5

Ten years ago

The last day of summer

Rupert couldn't believe that Chelsey had let him kiss her. He had wanted to ever since he realised he liked her more than a friend. And that had been a few days after they met.

He was more than aware of who she was and more so of himself. Just at the begining of summer his lordship ha made him a stable boy. He was a stable boy now. He cleaned stables so lovely girls likes chelsey didnt get their riding boots dirty when they walked into the stables. Although he had been very proud that lord Sinclair had given him a job with pay he hadn't told Chelsey. Somehow he felf that being a stable boy made him even less compared to her than the gardeners son who did odd jobs.

She was sweet, lovely and she cared about him. When he had a little cold during the summer she had brought him a tub of her nurses special chest rub. The thing had smelled vile but it was the sweetest thing anyone had done for him since his ma had passed two years ago.

He loved her. She was not like the other aristocrats. She was friendly. She talked with a smile. And she seemed to genuinely enjoy his company. He knew she shouldn't have been with him but the fact that she sneaked out to meet with him meant the world to him.

He had thought she was spending time with him because she was bored. But she wanted to spend more time with him.

She must like him too.

She had looked happy when he had kised her. She had even wanted to meet over Christmas. But he wouldn't be here then. But family was important to Pa and they always spent Christmas with family.

He knew he could not write to her. But he knew she would come to meet him the next summer.

He came back to the stables where he worked. Pa was old. His parents had had him when they had given up hope of ever having a child. He was the one who did pretty much all the heavy lifting when needed.

He spent the whole afternoon smiling. He shouldn't have kissed her..he knew it was wrong. She was the daughter of an earl. If his Pa knew he would be furious. Rupert thought.

He was about get the saddle ready for his lordships ride in the morning when he heard footsteps. It was his lordship himself . Rupert stood up at once and bowed.

"Is this the boy you were asking about westly" his lord ship was saying.

"I believe it is Sinclair" said the other man who he had never seen before.

"He is a good lad. I'm having trouble believing you. Is it possible u were mistaken. I don't think he will dishonor your daughter in anyway. Especially if he knew who she was" he said.

Lord Sinclair directed his next question at Rupert.

Rupert felt scared. He didnt wanna dissapoint his lordship. Lord Sinclair had always been a just and kind lord. He even let Rupert learn reading and writing from his boys tutor because the man had little to do as his two boys were very young. The man had even given the tutor permission to borrow books from the library for Rupert.

"Is it true that you were with miss Chelsey today. Tell me Rupert. " he asked

"Yes, my lord" he replied. His palms were getting sweaty he realised this was Chelseys father with lord Sinclair.

"Yes to what?" Lord Sinclair asked.

Rupert was almost stammering now.

"I met with her my lord. I know who she is my lord" he said