XVIII. Reasons

When Demetri set me down again, we were in a large clearing deep in the woods

When Demetri set me down again, we were in a large clearing deep in the woods. It was beautiful out there, but it was unsettling how far away we were from civilization. It was just as Demetri had suggested; no one would be able to find us out there.

'For better or for worse,' I thought as dread bubbled in my stomach.

"You're taking a big risk doing this," I said as I followed Demetri further in the clearing.

"You, as well," he said carelessly. "Something tells me your mate won't be happy about you running around in the middle of the night with another man. Especially with a man as experienced as myself," he added arrogantly.

"Please. You're a seven out of ten on a good day. No one is threatened by you," I scoffed.

"I'm inclined to disagree," he said with a dark smile.

"Of course you do," I said impassively.

"How are things, anyway?" Demetri asked with caustic interest.

"What's it to you?"

"I'm curious."

"Isn't everyone?"

"Well?"

"The only reason I haven't broken up with him yet is because I haven't seen him," I said. My temper flared just thinking about it.

"Again?" Demetri asked incredulously.

"Can you blame me?" I asked, throwing my hands up.

"Would your failing relationship have anything to do with your mission to become a bona fide vampire hunter?" he asked, raising his eyebrows.

"You're asking a lot of questions," I said coolly.

"As you said, I'm taking a big risk with helping you. The least you could do is give me an explanation."

"Self defense," I said shortly.

"I don't believe you," Demetri said as he stepped closer to me, his movements slow and deliberate.

"Why?" I asked, forcing myself to stay rooted where I was. Backing away from him would be a sign of weakness, and I wasn't about to be pushed around.

"Well, for starters, you tried to set me on fire," he said, looking me directly in the face. We stood only a little more than a foot apart.

"Self defense," I repeated.

"Your attack was unprovoked."

"You were there at dinner. My actions were anything but unprovoked. Especially after the way you held me against my will. Or do you conveniently not remember that part?"

"I am sorry about that, by the way. I was just doing my job." Sympathy brimmed in his eyes.

"Don't waste your breath. I know a liar when I see one," I said with a clipped tone. Something about him felt incredibly disingenuous.

"If I weren't feeling apologetic, would I be here with you? After you nearly burned me alive?" he asked, widening his eyes.

"I don't know. Maybe you're just dumb," I said flatly.

Demetri cocked his head to the side, but didn't respond.

"Why are you helping me?" I asked.

"I'm interested," he said with amusement.

"Interested in what?" I asked impatiently.

"Whatever silly little scheme you have tucked up your sleeve," he said presumptuously.

"So instead of just asking what my plan is, you've chosen to enable me?"

"It's much more exciting this way."

"I'm glad my life is so entertaining for you," I said bitterly.

"It's not my fault you're...," he trailed off and cast his gaze at the tops of the tree behind me.

"What?" I demanded.

"A clown," he said, glancing back down at me with a light, teasing smile.

"Clown! I'm not a clown!" I protested loudly.

Demetri raised his eyebrows and gave me a long, unreadable look.

"I wish I killed you," I glared. "I bet you wouldn't think I was so funny then."

"If I get murdered by a human, that one's on me," he said with a surprising lack of sarcasm. "But, don't think you'll catch me off guard like that again," he added darkly.

"You have no way of knowing that," I said defiantly.

"I do, actually!" he said with maddening confidence. "I still have your weapon - if that's what you want to call it."

"Call it what you want. It worked," I said brazenly.

"I'll give you partial credit for that," he allowed. "Although the mechanics could use some work."

"I had limited resources," I pointed out.

"The feminine napkins?" he asked, genuinely perplexed.

"It was a holster," I huffed.

"Fascinating," he said, taking a moment to study my face.

"Don't you judge me. It worked!" I said defensively.

"If it really worked, I'd be dead," he contested.

"Lucky you," I said, crossing my arms. "Now, are you going to teach me how to kill a leech, or not?"