━━NIJŪROKU

Start from the beginning

Everyone heard his unforeseen proposition

Everyone heard his unforeseen proposition. All of their scrutiny was now switched to the vice-captain and the younger Fuji. Some of his teammates gaped, staggered at what he had said. Did they hear it right?

They could not believe how sudden and forward it was. Especially coming from the grey-haired setter.

Tanaka realized that his upperclassman was the first one to make a move. He then scanned around his fellow players, noticing the somber atmosphere slowly slinking in. However, Sugawara appeared to be unperturbed.

The latter's attention was wholly at Nao, flashing her his distinct beaming smile.

"I'll let you decide where to go." He told her. "It can be any place you like." He continued, winking afterwards.

That somehow did it. She was now a blushing mess. Thoughts about their supposed date came careening in her head. Doubled with that wink. It was uncalled for. Her cheeks were glowing a rubescent shade.

"Just tell me—and I'll be there."

Suga basked from her reaction. Finding it amusing, and at the same time—adorable.

"Nao-chan."

Nao was standing outside the gate, waiting for Ushijima

Nao was standing outside the gate, waiting for Ushijima. Arms folded as the memory of Suga asking her out in front of his team remained in her mind. It would not go away. 

Nao-chan.

She remembered his new nickname for her. It was said with an affectionate drawl. Emphasizing every syllable.

How could he remain calm like that? And where did he get such confidence? She was marveled by the very existence of Sugawara Kōshi.

He was like the male-lead characters of the Shoujo graphic novels that she had read. The archetypal love interest.

Was she right all along? Did that mean that he had feelings—

No. That can't be. And besides, she did not even agree to the date yet! Should she go for it? Nao wondered if only she had answered his question in the first place—this could have easily been avoided.