For Wei Ying, the urge to escape was quickly becoming a consuming need. His body tensed and shook. Dark energy spread from his core to his heart. He had to get out of there or risk exposure. And, with the Twin Jades sitting just a few feet away, exposure here meant certain death.

Wei Ying was familiar with the area they were camped in and remembered there was a waterfall and small lake about a quarter mile away. The water would be good for his injury and he could pass some of his energy into it without hurting anyone. He scooted over a few feet until he sat next to Uncle Jiang.

Leaning in, Wei Ying whispered, "I need to step away for a little while. There's a lake not far from here. I think it will help with my injury and clear my mind so I can sleep."

"That's a great idea. But come back soon. Do you want Jiang Cheng to accompany you?"

"No, I'll be fine, uncle. I just......want to be alone for a little while."

Jiang Fengmian nodded and Wei Ying left the circle of light, his black robes melting into the ink black darkness of the night. The lake was exactly where he remembered it and he quickly removed his robes until he was only in his pants. He had wanted to take those off as well but thought better knowing his enemy was still close by. He definitely did NOT want to be caught with his pants down!

The water was indeed cold. The source of the lake was an underground spring which meant the water was always frigid. He slowly sank down and shivered as the water washed over his shoulders. The dull, continuous ache in his side slowly began to ebb away and Wei Ying let out a sigh of relief. He rolled his neck around and heard his joints creaking like an old man's.

Closing his eyes and clearing his mind, Wei Ying began concentrating on expelling some of his dark energy. He kept it underwater, hidden in the depths where curious eyes would not be able to see. The weight on his chest lightened, the intensity of his emotions fading like a dying flame. Standing up, he caressed the top of the water like it was a living being. It never ceased to amaze him how something could have multiple properties, all equally fascinating and useful.

Footsteps.

Damn!

Wei Ying spun around defensively and laid eyes on the one man he did not want to see. Frustrated at losing his solitude, he made his way to the edge of the water. He kept a close eye on the man everyone believed had attacked his mother, not knowing what to expect. Wei Ying still did not know what to believe. Or who to believe.

As soon as he stepped onto dry land, Lan Wangji held out a small jar. Wei Wuxian was startled by the gesture which seemed to be done in kindness rather than aggression. He looked up and was met with golden eyes that looked at everything around him except the half naked man standing in front of him.

"Please. Use." Lan Zhan offered the jar on an open hand that shook ever so slightly.

"What is this?" Wei Ying asked, sniffing the white substance inside.

"Healing. Paste."

"You don't talk much, do you?" Wei Ying could not help but smile at the young jade who refused to look him in the eye. He scooped a small bit out and applied it to his bruise. It was better after the cold soak but he still hissed at his own touch.

In a flash, Lan Zhan snatched the jar back and placed some of the paste on his own fingers and began applying it to Wei Ying's side. The injured man stared at the stunning man in white, baffled as to what was happening.

Why was Lan Wangji helping him? First his enemy gave him a healing paste for his injury and now he was gently rubbing it into his skin? What was even happening?!