seventeen

"Mam, Dad. Get up!" Lola shouted excitedly as she pounced on her parents' bed. Cheryl hadn't refused Simon entry into her room for the past three nights and she relished in having someone hold her close throughout the night. "It's Christmas, has Santa been? What about Rudolph? Come on!" she squealed as she tugged the covers.

Simon rubbed his eyes as his daughter continued to squirm on top of him, he rolled over cautiously to avoid dragging Cheryl with him. His jaw dropped wide open when he looked at the clock, "Lola it's five in the morning, try to go back to sleep" he told her as he turn the bedside lamp back off to fill the room with darkness.

Lola smacked the bed in annoyance, she wanted to go and start Christmas day. She didn't care what time it was. Cheryl sighed when she realised that if both her and Simon ignored their little girl then the situation would only get worse, "Lola babe, mam's not feeling to good. Get in bed with us and just wait a little bit please?" she pleaded.

She felt Simon rub her arm sympathetically under the covers, she wasn't lying or trying to trick her daughter into going back to bed. She had been unwell the past few days and for no apparent reason. He smiled in the darkness as he felt Lola tug at the covers and slide in between her parents, he moved closer to his two favourite girls and Cheryl snuggled the family together as close as she could.

* * *

"Pouvoir nous nous levons maintenant s'il vous plaît, c'est six heure et demi!" Lola whispered in her mother's ear when she saw the clock.

"Oui mais aller et brosser vos dents et revenir réveiller moi et Papa" Cheryl groaned as she realised Lola had resisted for over an hour and she physically wouldn't last any longer. She nudged Simon in the rib and he rolled over to kiss her lips gently, "Merry Christmas" he whispered seductively in her ear. She smiled at him and repeated it back.

Simon gazed at her in amazement; never in his life would he have thought he would wake up on Christmas morning with his daughter and the love of his life next to him. It was the best feeling in the world and for the first time since he had left home he finally felt like he belonged to a family. He had a little girl that needed him to protect her, to care for her and to love her, and it was now more than ever that he was ready for the challenge.

Their bundle of joy bounced back into the room in her bright pink reindeer onesie that Cheryl thought was adorable and just had to buy, Simon on the other hand didn't understand why his seven year old daughter needed to be dressed in what he saw as a babygro. "Cheryl she's got that fucking ugly thing on that you bought her" he whispered into her ear and in return Cheryl playfully smacked him as she unwillingly rolled out of bed.

"Feeling better yet?" Lola asked as she grabbed her mums hand in an effort to quicken the pace. Cheryl shook her head but ruffled her daughters curls in thanks for her concern, "you should have some grog"

"Is that something out of the sewer?" Simon joked, hoping Lola had mispronounced something.

"No, it's to make us better when we're poorly sick, tell him Mam" she explained as Lola begged her, "Olivier makes the best grog!"
Cheryl nodded her head and her tongue flicked across her lips emphasising she too thought it was delicious, "Si it's a French tradition, when you're ill you get grog. You mix lemon juice, honey, rum, and hot water together and drink. Voilà"

Simon looked at her in confusion, he raised his eyebrows and shook his head slowly, "and who's this Olivier then?"

Cheryl laughed at his obvious irritation from the mention of a man's name from their daughter, "he's the local fisherman back home. He's lovely to our Lola and looks out for us cos he knows it's just us two. Lola and his daughter are best friends, literally couldn't live without that man" she explained and saw Simon's features relax when he figured there was no romantic involvement.

* * *

"Lola you've opened all your presents so quickly" Simon laughed as she sat crossed legged on the floor examining her new Disney princess outfits that Kimberley had bought her. He couldn't get her attention as she picked up the Cinderella dress, then Snow White and then Belle. She swung them round in her arms and hugged them all tightly; Simon made a mental note that those three must be her favourite.

"Tah for them all. I love them!" she smiled as she picked up a Newcastle United hat and plonked it on her head. Cheryl hugged her daughter tight and smiled as they both looked at Simon, "can your mum open hers now?" he asked.

Lola wriggled out of Cheryl's grasp and passed her a few presents that were scattered on the floor, "not them just yet Sweetie" Simon stated as he rose from his seat and went over to the mantelpiece and picked up an envelope, "open this one first" he ordered as he passed it to Cheryl. She opened it slowly, anticipating what could be inside. Three pieces of paper fell out and she picked them up and looked. There were three houses printed on them, with an address each.

717 North Palm Drive, Beverly Hills, America.
31 Rue Marbeuf, Paris, France.
14 Cavendish Avenue, London, England.

"Simon what are these?" Cheryl whispered, her breath getting caught in her suddenly dry throat.

He knelt down infront of her and placed Lola on his knee, "these are our family homes. Ones that we can share, that are close to work, to Lola's school to where you've always lived. I want to start the New Year as a proper family of three, with our own home all together" he explained and Cheryl screamed before throwing her arms around his neck in agreement. Lola clapped her hands as she wiped the tears off her mother's face and Simon knew he had chosen the right presents to give his family.

"I have one more, here" he said as he passed Cheryl one final envelope, she opened it cautiously and couldn't help but let a huge grin spread across her tear stained face.

64 Cresswell Road
Walker
Newcastle Upon Tyne
NE6 2JB

___________________________________________________________

Pouvoir nous nous levons maintenant s'il vous plaît, c'est six heure et demi! - Please can we get up now, its half six!
Oui mais aller et brosser vos dents et revenir réveiller moi et Papa - Yes but go and brush your teeth then come and get me and Dad up.
Voilà - a general saying; here I've used it for finished.

___________________________________________________________