two

Simon looked out of the window of his office, it was throwing it down outside, the rain was bouncing off the pavement and the clouds had created a grey tinge to the city surrounding him. Everything looked depressing; there was no colour or vibrancy which he craved for. He needed diversity in his life and London was not providing this anymore. He shut down his laptop knowing he wasn't going to finish the work he was supposed to and rested his head in his hands.

He looked at all the platinum disks hung on his office walls, they should have brought him comfort but at that moment he couldn't care less about his achievements. He was known as being career orientated due to the media saying he was, but in reality he was just a lonely man craving some form of love. He found this in his job; it had been the only thing that had been loyal to him through the years and the only thing he felt like he could really trust. He sunk his head in his hands as the realisation of how alone he felt actually hit him. He didn't want to be sat in his office until late every night, he didn't want to have employees constantly ringing him and he definitely didn't want to be the eternal bachelor he was known as.

He pulled the day's newspaper off his desk and began flicking through the pages to keep him entertained. It was there that he saw her, her cheeky smile, her cute dimples and her massive eyes that were staring at him from the page. She looked happy and healthy which he was grateful for. His eyes skimmed the article and he smiled when he read she had achieved another number one across the globe. She had truly become the princess of pop in every country, she was hot property and Simon's heart broke a little at the fact she had left him with no warning.

They hadn't seen each other since Simon had left to work in America for six months eight years ago. They had been at the same award ceremonies but they had always managed to avoid each other, he dutifully clapped when she received her first Brit, her first Grammy and her other numerous awards and she had clapped when he received his awards for his contribution to TV. They supported each other but from afar. He looked at the recent picture of her and decided she looked happy, she was glowing. Her eyes were sparkling and her tanned skin was doing her wonders, she didn't look a day older than when she had left.

He thought back to their brief relationship, it had only lasted seven months but Simon could honestly say those were the best seven months of his life. He had laugh like he had never laughed before in his life, they had spent so much time together he felt like he couldn't live without her and he didn't want to either. Simon had fell in love with her long before they got together, he had wanted to make her happy and when she finally admitted her own feelings for him, he jumped at the chance. They were the most powerful couple in music, they had the world at their feet and Simon was gutted they would be spending six months apart while he went to work on X Factor in America.

They had both done the first series together but once Cheryl's pop career rocketed beyond anyone's wildest dreams she left the X Factor franchise altogether to focus on her first love. Simon accepted this, and whilst he was upset they wouldn't be working together anymore he was thrilled that her talents were being recognised worldwide. He remembered kissing her at the airport just before he departed eight years ago, he remembered how they confessed their love for each other and how they promised to speak as often as possible. He got on that plane as the happiest man on the planet and without a care in the world.

His dreams were shattered though when he returned and found Cheryl had moved her belongings out of the penthouse in London that they both shared. He didn't understand, she had been fine with him on the phone just two days earlier and he couldn't think of a reason why she would take her things. He assumed she just had a tidy out and had taken the items back to her own house whilst he had been away. When she didn't return that night he phoned her, only for Kimberley to answer and tell him things were over between the two. Simon felt his heart being ripped in two that night, he never got an explanation and he never understood why she had left him.

His life had never been the same since she had gone, he hadn't had another serious girlfriend since and he never intended too. Cheryl had broken his heart and even after all the time apart he still had no idea why. He found out she had moved to France about ten months after she left him from reading the papers and now he resorted to the gossip columns to keep tabs on his one true love.

The woman that controlled his heart was so near, yet so far away from him. He saw her beaming smile every day, he heard her music on the radio, he saw her videos and interviews on the tv yet he never actually got to see her. He was seeing Cheryl Cole the popstar when in reality he wanted to see his Cheryl Tweedy, the real life version. The one who he thought he knew so well, the one that had fixed him yet broken him at the same time.

His mind wandered further, thinking about how their lives could have been if she had stayed. He wondered if they would be married with children by now or even if they would still be together. He thought about her life now she was worldwide known, she was even more hot property than eight years ago and he knew she would never look at him again. She had dated all these gorgeous men in her time away from him and it broke him to see her on holidays with them, arriving at award ceremonies with them and just generally being with someone else. Deep down he was glad she hadn't married some other model or singer; he was thrilled that there was still a chance they could be together.

His heart dropped when he turned the page and saw Cheryl lay on a beach in France with a man. His arm was draped loosely over her stomach while her head was resting on his bare chest; they were surrounded by friends and loads of children. Simon rubbed the stubble on his chin as he digested the new images, it was clear Cheryl and this man had been together awhile if they were lounging around with their friends and their children. He saw the smile on her face; it eliminated her features and, despite her having no makeup on and her hair being completely natural, she still looked stunning. She looked happy too and that broke Simon even more. She was happy without him but he wasn't happy without her.