Chapter 40

3rd POV (two weeks later)

Time in Esteban was running smoothly for the four.
The same routines continued.

The queens had the occasional meetings and small journeys to nearby villages, but that was all they really had.

The rest of the time was spent with their new found found mate.

Marley was still getting used to the idea of mates and being in love, but she openly embraced the idea.

She quickly became close friends with Sovia. She even showed Marley some paintings of her wife and child.

Sovia also helped Marley to plan some events for Zarren and Ambree.

Marley was content with her current state.
She wondered if anything were to happen in the future.

***

It was another routine day.

The queens were in a meeting and Marley was with Ambree and Sovia in the library, it was now an hour past dinner.

They were reading books of far away places and new ideas.

Eventually the three got hungry so they decided to take a break and head towards the kitchens.

They had to pass through the entrance hall in order to get to the kitchens so they managed to run into the queens on their way there.

Upon seeing Marley Demitri excitedly waved and walked up to meet Marley.

Marley laughed lightly at Demitri's excitement.
There was never a dull moment with her.

Heather and Lea smiled upon seeing the ginger and walked over as well.

"What are you guys up too?"

Lea asked,

"We got hungry so we're getting a small bite to eat,"

Marley responded, her voice calm as she spoke to the three.

"Well if you want the chef's just made some-"

Before Heather could finish her sentence the grand doors were opened.

Revealing two guards and a small child around the age of 7 or 8. A baby swaddled in her arms.

Marley looked at the two in interest. She doesn't see much children so it interests her a lot.

Lea looked at the guards confused.

Ambree and Sovia matching her look.

"Guards who are these two?"

Heather asked approaching the group.

As Heather got closer the girls eyes widened in fear as she pulled away and stepped away to create distance from herself and the ruler.

Upon seeing the child's fear Heather stopped walking,

"These two were found walking among palace grounds, they refuse to speak,"